Flame Maple Grade Question

justsomeguy1

I spoke with a Warmoth rep on the phone earlier and he informed me that I can ask for "high grade" AAA roasted flamed maple wood to be used on my neck as an off-menu option, for a charge of $200. I have two questions about this:

1. If I'm building a 2 piece neck where both the neck and fretboard are using roasted flamed maple, will that $200 give me high grade on both of the neck pieces, or just the main neck piece itself?

2. While looking through the showcase I see examples of "super high grade" and "very high grade" but no "high grade." Is there three levels (high grade, very, super) or is there really only two levels (very, super) and the Warmoth rep was referring to very high grade the whole time.

In my experience, Flame Maple is graded by the number of "A"s with 5A being the most flamed.  I don't recall ever seeing each individual grade then being sub-graded into High, Very High, Super High, etc. 

Bill, tgo

Warmoth uses those arbitrary terms intentionally, to keep customers from trying to assign woods to a specific "A" grades...which are also arbitrary.

Saves us from having to defend ourselves from customers who might feel they got an AAAA top, instead of the AAAAA top they ordered.

It's the same reason PRS uses their 10-Top paradigm.....which people still often second-guess and complain about.

While I understand that there has to be some type of differentiation between grades of wood, I have never cared for the whole A system. Mainly because I could see that it would become what it has become, an excuse for wholesalers to charge ridiculously high prices for wood based on appearance alone. Especially when that wonderful appearance is no guarantee that the wood will have the properties desirable for great sound production. Now I'm not saying that Warmoth, or anyone else is doing wrong on their prices. They have to charge what they need to make a profit above their costs.
I have used beautiful wood for builds and I have used plain looking wood for builds, and I've discovered that wood is a lot like people. Looks are no indication of character. Nothing wrong with wanting a great looking instrument as long as folks don't go overboard on their concerns for those looks to the point that they forget that the purpose of an instrument is to make music. If you take away the soud quality, then you only have visual art. ................ :headbang:

Thank you for the responses and insight. My question remains however.

I was told that AAA high grade is a $200 upcharge, but I only see very high grade and super high grade in the showcase. Still don't know if "high grade" even exists, or if the rep was really referring to very high grade the whole time.

Edit - I will call back and ask the rep for examples

The grade names are general guidelines and not strictly delineated levels. Also, the terms you see in the showcase do not strictly equal the terms in the custom builders.

If you pay $200 extra for "AAA high quality" on a custom build body, you will be getting the best we have.

That said, wood still varies. No escaping that.

Back