Five String Custom Shape

ognolman

This is a Warmoth Deluxe Five neck with a Mahogany body I bought off eBay. The body was partially routed for a 6 string neck and needed substantial cleaning up and re-shaping. I planed off the 6 string neck pocket, added a 4A flamed maple top and re-routed the neck pocket for a Fender 5 string. I sent the body to the paint shop, only to discover that the neck pocket template I had was substantially narrower than the Warmoth neck heel. So I created a new template from the Warmoth neck and re-routed the pocket again, and the results are perfect.

This has an Audere 3-band preamp, Bartolini BC pickups, flushmount Straploks, Hipshot narrow "A" bridge and Gotoh tuners. The poly finish was done by Stike of Rowyco Customs. Anyone that hangs out at the Reranch forum may be familiar with Stike, I love the faux binding.

The bass balances well on a strap with no neck dive. The bass has a wide range of usable sounds, thanks to the Audere preamp.

4718816254_2f71ee8a1a_b.jpg

4718166343_fc9354e1bb_b.jpg

4718810342_131d48edd3_b.jpg

4600745760_1ca36025b1_b.jpg

^^ Gotta be a Ritter.

lol, yeah I wouldn't have put so many except the neck pocket isn't very long compared to a Fender, so I thought it would be a good idea to beef it up a little.

ognolman said:
^^ Gotta be a Ritter.

lol, yeah I wouldn't have put so many except the neck pocket isn't very long compared to a Fender, so I thought it would be a good idea to beef it up a little.

Yep.

Perhaps this bolt pattern is less ridiculous. :blob7:
ritter-basses-royaback.jpg

that looks pretty sweet.
is creating a neck pocket template based on the neck you have relatively easy to do? Because i would LOVE to adapt the body I'm working on (a clone of my Ibanez BTB body) for a Fender neck. That'd be awesome!

Thanks for the compliments, everyone.

I wouldn't call it "easy" to do. I would call it "tricky," "risky," or "scary," depending on how attached you are to the body it is going on and how much you stand to lose if you blow it.

You could always practice on a piece of junk wood, I suppose. That would reduce the risk significantly. I don't know what your comfort level is with routers, but that would make a difference.

Paul-less said:
Hey, looks like you need more neck bolts....

sorry  :doh:

Ya Really?
gb7b.jpg

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=gb7&Body=2&Bass=1&Path=Body

edit: fixed the bar..

ognolman said:
Thanks for the compliments, everyone.

I wouldn't call it "easy" to do. I would call it "tricky," "risky," or "scary," depending on how attached you are to the body it is going on and how much you stand to lose if you blow it.

You could always practice on a piece of junk wood, I suppose. That would reduce the risk significantly. I don't know what your comfort level is with routers, but that would make a difference.

been working on my first body. already f'ed up the neck pocket more than once with bad routing, so i'm learning. Even if this one turns out usable, I'll probably get to work on a second one, probably out walnut cuz we have a lot of it. so I'd love to be able to put a warmoth neck on something i made

I can duplicate my Warmoth neck pocket template and send it to you for $25.00. I'm not sure I can find it, I am in the middle of a move, so it may be packed away. If you want me to make you one it will take a few days.

Well have a centerline on the body-- the joint between the two pieces of flame maple, and I have a centerline on the neck pocket template that lines up with the body centerline.

Then I found that Hipshot has dimension drawings available:

http://www.hipshotproducts.com/files/all/5stgastyle.pdf

I don't think they are to scale, but it's not a problem. I can use Corel Draw to reproduce a template that I can use to find the bridge centerline and locate the mounting holes. My drawings don't have to be that detailed. I also have a small, but very precise square that I use to line up the bridge at a 90 degree angle to the centerline.

HTH!

Actually, it turns out that the second Ritter I posted is not a bass. It's a bass shaped garlic press.
You put garlic in the neck pocket and it squeezes out the holes when you push the neck down. :dontknow:

line6man said:
You put garlic in the neck pocket and it squeezes out the holes when you push the neck down. :dontknow:

That would explain a lot!

knucklehead G said:
I love it. It's a Warwickenbacker.

Hahaha, or maybe a Rickenwick??

Thanks for all the great comments, folks.

I've recently begun an apprenticeship with Gadow Guitars, so hopefully I'll be doing bigger and better things as I learn more. I've got some great pieces of wood lined up for the next build!!

Back