First Warmoth build

Warpig, Warpig, Warpig, and Warpig.
It was designed to compete with EMG 81, but in a totally passive package. ie you dont need a Battery.

The Miracle Man will give you a nice tight focused tone great for soloey leadey stuff.
The Steve Stevens set are kind of vintage sounding but really drive well.

The thing with Barer Knuckle is if you drop the head honcho Tim and e-mail, and tell him the sort of thing you want he'll tell you which type of thing to go for.  They even have a kind of semi custom shop whereby if he's not something you're after, he'll take a stock pickup and modify it slightly to suit what you want.

Great guy is Tim.  Hes my buddy Wayne out a good few time when he was looking for a telecaster set, and I know Ted (on this forum) has spoken to him many times.

Ted, any thoughts?

Jim

i've heard good things about bare knuckle, but there are also a few guys in the states that do the same,

http://www.bg-pups.com/

http://www.vintagevibeguitars.com/

the prices are comprable to duncans, i think bill lawrence does afordable pups too but don't know if he has a site or any contact information.

Just read this post.

Yes I would recommend you email Tim Mills as a first port of call. Tell him the pickups are going to an LP. Tim is a LP player so he will know EXACTLY what you want.

Your music choice spreads all across the BKP range, Warpig is the Iommi inspired pickup and if you play a lot of Sabbath or doomy / sludgy metal, this is the best pickup as its quite loose sounding (Alnico V magnet).

I also have a Miracle Man set and that is the Metallica pickup. Balls to the wall old school metal tone, but as its a ceramic magnet the cleans are quite lacking.

The Painkiller is high output with more mids dominance, i.e. a bit like the Dave Mustaine's distrotion sound.

You may also want to look at a Nailbomb thats quite versatile and reportedly cleans up beautifully.

Nice LP btw, bubinga is a nice choice for a neck wood, but also look at wenge.

All the best and good luck out there!!!

Ted  :icon_thumright:

check it out

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11603&highlight=

the warpig is NOT a passive  EMG-clone. its a hotrodded superdistortion, mixed with the JB (to say it very blunt).

the miracleman is basd on the emg 81/85.

the cold sweat is based on the dirty fingers (gibson)

painkiller is a superdistortion with more tightness and grit

the nailbomb is based on a PAF on steroids (duncan custom). its more or less like a painkiller without the punch or grit.

the riff raff is based on a 70ies paf

the mule is based on a 50ies paf

the stormy monday is also based on a 50ies paf, but with lot less output.

the holydiver is a bit like a superdistortion, but with a tadd less output.

the others, I dont know, but this is kind of what the pickups are based on, at bareknuckle pickups

Warpig.......I stand corrected.  Sorry guys, just going with what I'd heard about.

Submitted the order for the neck today.

Going with a Bubinga/Ebony neck with a Warmoth head stock, 59 Roundback profile, 6105 frets, Corian nut, and Celtic Cross Inlays.  Can't wait to get it and see how it matches up with the body.  I think that the colour of the Bubinga and Ebony will really compliment the colours on the body.

Planning on going with Planet Wave tuners.

Thanks for all the input along the way. 

As soon as I get home and get pics I will post them so all can see.

Bill

I decided on pickup and placed them on order today.  After speaking with Tim @ Bare Knuckle Pickups I decided to go with a Miracle Man in the bridge and a Mule in the neck, both with open coils/Zebra bobbins.  Planning on wiring them up standard with no coil tap/split. 

Also placed the rest of the hardware on order with Warmoth today.  If all goes as planned, the neck should be ready around the first of May and I can get some Pics posted then.  I did decide to go with all black hardware.  The plan was to give it a more gothic look, hence the celtic cross inlays on the neck.

Just want to say thanks for all the input and help you have all given me along the way.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how this goes together and sounds.  If it goes as smooth as I hope, I will be building a Lefty LP for my son.  He wants to go pretty basic and being a big Zakk Wyldd fan he wants a Black LP with EMG pickups and a Maple Neck.  Would be nice to see what I'm looking for in the showcase, but I am sure that being a lefty, I will have to do a custom order.

Bill

Back