First Warmoth Assembly - Green HSS Strat-a-like.

Love that green.

And the guitar will never fold in half because of the string tension. The thing you REALLY have to worry about* is an unknown burr that snaps the string and takes out your eye. Well, happy restringing for eternity! ;)

*and by that I mean never worry about

In the old days before the eyesight went bad, I'd have had it assembled this morning, and be posting a photo of the finished article, now.
However, these days, I have to take my time, measure everything a billion time, smoke a lot, drink a lot of coffee... you get the picture.
So, in the spirit of the 'build thread', here is today's progress.
Started with the job I was dreading most - drilling the pin holes for the (Sperzel) tuners. Paid silly money for one of those guides, a few weeks back, took a deep breath and...

Fitted the tuners...

Then tested fitted the neck to the body...

All gone to plan, so far. Relieved to have not screwed up the tuner stuff. That's enough stress for today.
Only (minor) fly in the ointment is that I had the body done with the heel contour, and bought the appropriate screws in the order. One of the screws has bottomed out in the neck hole, so it'll need a mm or so cutting off the end - the beauty of being 'old school' and not using power tools other than a drill is I screwed the neck screws in using a screwdriver and didn't end up forcing the screw through the fingerboard. :)
As long as the bridge lines up with the neck, it's all downhill from here...
... well, aside from screwing in the trem claw screws. I hate screwing in those - always have. The f***ers are always a b'stard to screw in, take ages, and because of the tightness and angles, I usually end up making a mess of the screw heads, so any useful tips will be very gratefully received.

Thanks for your interest and tips.

Can you really just cut off the pointy end of the wood screw for the neck and still use it?

Just file the end off the offending screw, make sure it is the same size as the other, and that the two shorter ones are farthest from the body

Can you really just cut off the pointy end of the wood screw for the neck and still use it properly to put the neck and body together?

Thank you kindly Ghost Rider :cool:🤟 I will confidently do that with my koa body, it has a contoured heel and I did not know that I needed to buy the warmoth screw set.
FWIW, my Warmoth strat build has the contoured heel, and I just used three 1.5” and one 1.75” screws from the hardware store

Back