First ever Warmoth Strat! Natural binding trans red with black burst

Looks very nice.

I am wary every time I travel in London, even when not carrying Birdseye necks  :kewlpics:

Cagey said:
Tony Ounsworth said:
Now to drill the headstock for tuners. Gulp!

Ain't no thang!

Hold the drill bit up to the side of the headstock in such a way that it doesn't reach all the way through, then wrap some masking tape around it to mark the depth...

That'll keep you from drilling too deep and breaching the top surface of the headstock.

Actually, that's no real guarantee!

This will be the third time I've drilled holes for Kluson style tuners (going for Tone Pros on this one), and the first time I did it I used your approach. The first four went ok, but on the fifth the masking tape had slipped and through I went. It was my fault really as I should have checked the masking tape between each hole, but still - it happened.

What I did the next time was simply to bury the drill bit all the way into the chuck, so that only the required depth was showing. This was far more reliable, because it was physically impossible to drill too far, and it went without a hitch.

Of course both of those attempts were on £99 Mighty Mite necks, and if I was doing another one of those I don't think I'd even be worried. It's just the value and uniqueness of this neck that's making me wary. I know it's an easy job really (or should be!)

Tony Ounsworth said:
This will be the third time I've drilled holes for Kluson style tuners (going for Tone Pros on this one), and the first time I did it I used your approach. The first four went ok, but on the fifth the masking tape had slipped and through I went. It was my fault really as I should have checked the masking tape between each hole, but still - it happened.

Well, not to be a bitch, but you do need to watch what you're doing. The tape is not a blocker or a stopper, it's just an indicator. They do make mechanical drill stops that are relatively inexpensive, but the smaller the bit the more troublesome they become. Plus, they increase the diameter of the bit substantially, so it's not always possible to use them. Better off paying attention.

Tony Ounsworth said:
What I did the next time was simply to bury the drill bit all the way into the chuck, so that only the required depth was showing. This was far more reliable, because it was physically impossible to drill too far, and it went without a hitch.

That can work, and I've done it a number of times myself, But, you have to be careful about marring the surface. Sometimes, it doesn't matter, but when it does...

To make it worse, Cagey, I had specifically warned Tony about masking tape slippage!

What I would recommend, Tony, if you no longer trust tape, is to use your chuck method except make it so that you don't go down until it's touching. Make it so that if you did go all the way down you'd be safe, but that actually you have a mm or two spare. Just to make sure the chuck doesn't spin against the gloss and pull up a big flake and rip it off.

And yeah, loads of wax. If you feel even a tiny bit of resistance, just back the screw out and wax again. They should go in easy.

Yes, all good points. The masking tape routine works fine if you're careful, it's just that I found a method which compensated (slightly) for my own idiocy! I was careful not to let the chuck hit the wood, but if it had then it would have hit an area that's going to be covered by the tuners anyway.

Oh, and I had another question for you guys. I think I'd like to get a custom decal made in the same style as the Jazzmaster logo.

30U-16142_headstock-front.jpg

I was thinking something like "Tony's Jazzcaster - with no tremolo at all - Warmoth Custom Body", or similar, with the curly lines etc and in the Fender font.

I have no graphic design skills (apart from some neanderthal copying and pasting of cropped jpegs in Powerpoint), never used Photoshop or any computer illustration software.

Who can I go to who will 1) Design me the logo and 2) Produce me a sheet of high quality decals?

Jumble Jumble said:
To make it worse, Cagey, I had specifically warned Tony about masking tape slippage!

Oh yeah, you did as well.  :doh:

That's totally how I did it by the way - I stopped short of the chuck actually touching the wood. Or rather, the masking tape - I always apply masking tape to any area I'm drilling to prevent slippage and finish splitting, and also because it's easy to make guide marks on

I like your Decal idea, except that "Jazzcaster" is kinda already taken:

Sunburst-3UPFronwithPick.jpg

I have a friend who's a graphic designer, but he'd not do it for nothing as he's super busy. Do you want me to ask?

Oh, I didn't know that was already a thing. What about Stratmaster? I dunno, sounds a bit big-headed.

Sure, ask your friend. I trust you not to put him forward unless he can do it right. Obviously I'd want the exact fonts etc.

The "Fender" logo on that headstock, though - obviously thatt's not just what happens if you get the right font and type in "Fender". It's a hand drawn logo; no other letters exist. Are you looking to have "Tony's" written like that? I think something could be done along those lines.

As for the other fonts he could probably identify them and get them right. I'll ask him.

As for the name, I dunno. It's more like a Stratocaster than any other type of guitar.

"Fortycaster".

These guys are UK-based and make good quality decals. They'll do the artwork as well though it might be a bit generic.

There are people here who would do the design for you - myself included, for little or no charge. Hannaugh recently did a nice one, almost instantaneously it seemed. Not sure if she charged or has the time now of course.

There are full A-Z fonts that people have done though Jumble. I found one just now that looks good to me. The T of Tony looks just like the original Tokai logo. Of course I'd want it gold with a black outline etc, so probably would have to be hand drawn.

It'd be higher res than this of course:

Apparently Futura Lt. is a good match for the model name.

Fat Pete said:
There are people here who would do the design for you - myself included, for little or no charge. Hannaugh recently did a nice one, almost instantaneously it seemed. Not sure if she charged or has the time now of course.

Well if you fancied having a crack I'd be very grateful, but please only if you have time or feel like doing it.

Let's go with "Tony's STRATMASTER" "Without Floating Tremolo" and "Warmoth Custom Body"

I'd be delighted to contribute something to such a nice guitar. Give me a day or 2...

Tony Ounsworth said:
Of course I'd want it gold with a black outline etc, so probably would have to be hand drawn.
Oh gosh you're really not a photoshop expert! Rest assured that's a trivial thing.

I've never even had Photoshop on any PC I've owned. I imagine I could muddle through if I did.

Pete, thank you for even considering it. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

In the meantime, this'll probably be my last mock up before the final build (main change being a single ply .9" pickguard which arrived with the neck). I've been advised that the SD minis come without a logo, so I've decided to try those and see how I get on. Only remaining question mark is whether to use nickel or black screws:

I put black screws on my pickguard, and now my answer is always pickguard screws should match the pickguard. Hardware screws should match the hardware.

BTW the camera reflection in the mockup is throwing my brain for a loop.

Back