First complete build - a little disappointed

@ NonsenseTele
I am really not an expert on guitar body preparing but do you mean that the surface of a guitar body is not the original surface of the body blank from which it comes from? I find it odd to go through the pain of resawing an already flat surface.

But even if that is the case, I would expect Warmoth to prepare another body since they knew that this body would be used for a burst. Come on, it is a Strat alder body. They are producing lots of them (I suppose) every day. Why not give the buyer an appropriate body for his burst and keep the knotted body for a non transparent finish?

They are not obliged to do that. But it would be good business and good form.

My (2+2) 4 c.

Get real, you guys. Warmoth isn't charging $1000 and up for anything with flaws - we're talking about, what, a $300 body with a $200 paint job, right? That AINT big bucks in the custom guitar world and perfect woods are rarer and rarer.
PLENTY of custom builders out there will absolutely guarantee you whatever you want, but you'll pay at least $5000 for the finished product.
These parts are a fantastic bargain, generally, considering their quality. For $500 including paint, no company can have a bunch of skilled workers poring over each body for minute flaws, making judgment calls (will he like this 'character spot' or not?)  - it gets an inspection, meets the specs, it's out the door. For the kind of QC and hand-holding some of you guys seem to be expecting, all these parts would cost at least double.

If you're coming here and custom ordering standard parts at standard prices, you're bound to get really great gear at far lower prices than you could get elsewhere. You are NOT guaranteed that Warmoth will read your mind, scour their woodshed, and make your dreams come true (though that did happen with my second W, it's not a given).

mscmkr said:
@ NonsenseTele
I am really not an expert on guitar body preparing but do you mean that the surface of a guitar body is not the original surface of the body blank from which it comes from? I find it odd to go through the pain of resawing an already flat surface.
What I meaned is: You get a raw wood... this looks "X"... when you DO the guitar at CNC or hand, it has another look... Close or NOT of "X"... Simple...

But even if that is the case, I would expect Warmoth to prepare another body since they knew that this body would be used for a burst. Come on, it is a Strat alder body. They are producing lots of them (I suppose) every day. Why not give the buyer an appropriate body for his burst and keep the knotted body for a non transparent finish?

They are not obliged to do that. But it would be good business and good form.

My (2+2) 4 c.

You CAN get this!!! Didn't knew?
Just ask for "no knot" or "flame figuring" and what do you believe it need... They will search it and, if it exist or they have in their stock, they will give it to you, with about $100+ to the bill.... The others custom shops do the same...
But, if you want bargain with ütter custom shop services, don't are you wanting too much?? It's not that simple "prepare another body", it's not 5 min work and even it is, they are "production oriented atmosphere" as they say in the website... it's not a guy working on your guitar exclusively... They have to work... you guitar got out of the CNC, the same time come another, and another.... Even this, they can do some custom jobs... But it's more expensive... how much more work, how much more money, it's like it to EVERYBODY, if you do a job in 8h, you will ask $, if needs 16h $$............

@ NonsenseTele
You either deliberately or mistakenly missed my main arguments in both points. I have no connection with OP nor Warmoth, so I find it useless to try to convince anyone.
Thanks for your response though

A tight neck fit is better than a loose neck any day. As far as knots are concerned. Maybe some of the world's great scientists can develope a knotless tree. :toothy10: After all they've come out with seedless watermelons and seedless oranges.

None of us really know what's up, as we have yet to see a pic of the body in question posted. Were it a small knot, and/or one that was conforming to the rest of the grain pattern, I wouldn't have any problem with it, and might like it better. If you don't like a custom order, you can always send it back.

Tfarny, I agree with you,
And Jack
NonsenseTele barely speaks english so cut him some slack, though he can cuss like a sailor

sorry about the knot, complain if you must but you didn't send it back. warmoth will replace a body that you're not satisfied with, the wait is inconvenient, sure, but they are willing to give you a satisfactory product. neck fit though should be tight, the raw wood will have a perfect fit but occasionally alittle finish gets into the pocket and causes interference. that shows how good the tolerences are, if they took finnish into acount on the program then a raw neck and body would be sloppy and even more would complain. as tight as it may have seemed i'll bet it takes only a minute or 2 of sanding and alignment.

could warmoth sand the pocket at the factory, sure but that would take time and effort, the prices may go up or the wait may get longer. and warmoth sell replacement parts, they are not in the luthery buisness. a part is not nessesarily a finnished product, some assembly is required. i'll assure you that the quality and ease of assembly are miles beyond anything else you'll find. i helped a friend of mine has peice together a few strats with ebay parts, most of the other stuff out there isn't even close to fender specs. you can expect to sand a warmoth neck pocket but some stuff out there needs serious reworking.

mscmkr said:

agreed - you lacl of expertese on instrument manufacture has lead you to an invalid conclusion here.

for "most body woods" you cannot simply flip the wood over (back becomes front, front becomes back) due to the grain orientation. the exception to this is in the case of perfectly flatsawn or perfectly quartersawn grain ... something that is extremely rare due to how wood is milled. the grain on a quality manufactured body is orientated so that any cupping will relieve itself towards the back of the body. flipping the body faces would cause any movement to be towards the front - because all of the finely toleranced hardware mounts to the front face, this movement would result in an unplayable instrument.

hey, we're not working with plastic or metal here - it's wood ... a naturally growing product where each tree has its unique characteristics within each board. if you consider something like this a blemish, be sure to note it in your order and be prepared to pay extra for the added effort spent hand grading the raw materials to your specifications

in the end we're still waiting for an image of this horrendous knot. I'm wondering if the OP is buying special camera gear with macro lenses so that an image may be properly captured

all the best,

R

I will take your word for it and stand corrected. :)
But - just for my information - there is not any wood removed from the face of the body blank to have the guitar body face, right? For a strat, that is.

mscmkr said:
I will take your word for it and stand corrected. :)
But - just for my information - there is not any wood removed from the face of the body blank to have the guitar body face, right? For a strat, that is.

yes, there will be. the body starts out as a bodyblank, and it has to be shaved down to the proper thickness.

Face or back? I am persisting on this because WM sells routed body blanks so I presume that they shave the (unnecessary?) width from the back, no?

Hey OP, what happened to these pictures? :)

mscmkr said:
Face or back? I am persisting on this because WM sells routed body blanks so I presume that they shave the (unnecessary?) width from the back, no?

Hey OP, what happened to these pictures? :)
both ofcourse. the body blanks recieve the same treatment is normal bodies. they have to be planed flat and to the same thickness as normal bodies.

True, I forgot about the return policy.  If you don't like the body send it back.  Otherwise don't complain like your some sort of victim.  'Cause you will have made yourself that way, don't blame warmoth.  Can you hear the little violins?

index.php

Thats just killer

Looking at this thread, we're such homers. Poor guy musta been scared off after coming on just to express his mild disappointment. We will tolerate NO criticism of The Company!
(I'm guilty too).

mscmkr said:

the lumber is thicknessed l-o-n-g before it gets cut into pieces that are jointed (edge treatment) and glued. at this point there still is no reference as to what part of the board will be cut into specific body blank parts. a final thicknessing may occur after the glue-up, but it would only be to level a few 1/1000" to level any irregularities between the two (or three) pieces glued together to make the body.

once a body blank is thicknessed and of the proper length/width, it is orientated and placed into the CNC hold-down for machining.

all the best,

R

Back