First Build -initial setup

Dcguitar

I put together a Soloist body, with recessed floyd, and roasted modern maple neck (locking nut and compound radius).  The floyd base sits about half recessed into the body, nut has no shim.

most of the notes on the high e string are choked and bending does not work above the 14th fret, the low is is similar (though not as bad).

Do i need to adjust the nut, or raise the bridge?  Does the truss rod need an adjustment if so which direction?

I'm not comfortable making major changes to the neck / frets, and i dont have the tools or skills to do this, so if I should just take it to a tech, am I just asking for a full setup and showing them the pain points?

You are jumping from observation to like step 7.

First check your relief
Now check your action
Now check your nut

Google each of those terms with the words Dan Erlewine, and perform them. 

Setting up your Tremolo or Floyd Rose

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=29622.0

a good 6" steel rule with mm and 32nd and 64ths is good to have on hand for setting things up. I also bought a set of feeler gauges for doing setups.

some things to point out if you're going to go through a full setup yourself
- the Floyd nuts generally have a 10" radius, which is great for the Warmoth 10-16 radius
- Original Floyd tremolos come factory stock with a 10" radius at the bridge. Removing the saddle shims brings it to 12" you'll probably want 16-18" for the bridge radius, but if it doesn't bother you don't worry about it, but it'll help you get the string heights dialed in.

the strings should have generally about 1/64-2/64 height at the first fret to avoid buzzing. larger strings - larger gap

I'd first check you have enough room at the nut. If you do - move on to neck relief (tighter for less relief, looser for more) - then saddle/bridge height at the floyd.

I've had to shim about half the Floyd nuts I've used over the years. it's no big deal and you can make some out of a coke can laying around or buy some. It could also be the frets needing to be leveled. 2 out of the 4 Warmoth necks I have required a fret level to really be playable without choking out somewhere on the neck, two were perfect. I'd always factor in a good fret/nut job in the cost of a parts guitar, just my 2c.

Back