first arrival 2008

willyk

This arrived this morning. The body has front, rear and neck heel contours. The neck is all rosewood, standard thin and has an amazing red slash right down the fingerboard.
Wish it was a lefty!

Attachments

• gb0001.JPG
    gb0001.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 399
  • gb0007.JPG
    gb0007.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 360
Wow, Willy, What a wonder.  Alliteration aside, you've got a couple of sweet pieces of lumber there.  Whatever the plan, I'm sure it will be another fine moment in the WillyK canon.

I haven't got a plan at the moment 'louie. The neck doesn't need anything. I'm going to play with some stains and stuff. We'll see what happens. Orange might be a bit strong but a nice subtle amber might be nice :icon_scratch:

Cool parts! I'm sure it'll end up a masterpiece like the rest of your builds!

With gold & creme parts, a yellowy amber might be... ummm, yellowy....

I'd think about a light, parchment-y brown tint maybe. Brown alone can be greeny but brown cut with a dash of red - not even a color, just to tint the wood slightly, away from the yellowishness of it all.

+1 for either gretsch orange or amber on that guitar - bound to look great!
I'm guessing it's not for your personal use, but why the front contour on a LP?

kboman said:
+1 for either gretsch orange or amber on that guitar - bound to look great!
I'm guessing it's not for your personal use, but why the front contour on a LP?

Basically it's just the 'why not' factor. I've always been like that ever since I discovered Warmoth. My first build was a cross bred Telecaster/Jazzmaster, my first Strat had an F hole and the first Tele I ever built was a top routed hollow body without a pickguard, with a Strat neck and a whammy bar. So when I decided to build an LP type I thought I'd incorporate some very un-LP features like a strat hardtail bridge and a fully contoured body that wasn't too heavy. Throwing a neck position P90 into the mix comes from reading CBs posts. Jackthehack's another 'blender' his gold top Tele is gonna be bloody great.

Here goes nuthin'..... :eek:

I sand sealed it yesterday and grainfilled this morning. White filler thinned with a splash of red and a big splash of black stain. It is drying sort of purplish :laughing8: It could be anything tomorrow :blob7:

I love this! No plan!  Just rub it 'til it comes!    :evil4: :evil4: :guitaristgif: :glasses9:

I'll start a thread in finishing when Iget the crust off :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• gb0009.JPG
    gb0009.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 321
  • gb0012.JPG
    gb0012.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 310
Man...call me crazy but I think the body finish looks cool as hell as is!  Really raw and rugged lookin.  Just my weird opinion though.  *dodges flames*  :dontknow:

rockdude326 said:
Man...call me crazy but I think the body finish looks cool as hell as is!  Really raw and rugged lookin.  Just my weird opinion though.  *dodges flames*  :dontknow:

No it's me that's crazy :laughing7:

I already have one build that looks like that. My "feral '54" P bass stinks up the neighborhood :cool01:

MDVermette said:
WillyK, maybe you are done right now. A new swamp-ash LP in Old Barn Door Burst!  :laughing7:

Hold that thought!!

Old barn door burst :icon_scratch: OBDB ???  I like it! :laughing7:
Sad to say the obdb is now just dust on the floor (see "Winging it") in DIY Finishes  :doh:

Back