Firebird - 30th Anniversary, Screamin' Deal Edition

PitchShifter

Here's the completed Firebird project for the Firebird body I picked up off the old Screamin' Deal page during the 30th Anniversary discount sale. I'd been eyeing the body off for a while, and with all the discounts, it came out well below $200 so I had to have it. Finally have it built so wanted to share it with the board.

Sorry about the reflection on the pics

Darkbird Baritone
Tuned B-B

5055479331_f3c264ded6_b.jpg

Body: Basswood, black gloss.

Neck: 28" Baritone with Firebird headstock. Wenge with Macassar Ebony fretboard (the subtle chocolate lines are hard to see on the pic). Because of the baritone length, I was unable to get the traditional scalloped look on the headstock, but I don't mind at all.

Pickups: 2 x BG Pickups Bucker Clear Top, dual pole A4 humbuckers. Middle pickup is a GFS Mean 90.

Tuners: Steinberger Gearless in black. Strings currently 13-62 and tension is fine. I do have heavier sets I can try. The Heavier strings required the Low E to be stripped of the outer wire to fit through the awkward hole of the tuner.

Electronics: 3 V, 1 T. Switches are P90: on/off - HB: Neck/Both/Bridge.

How's it play? I play a fair bit of bass but I still found it a bit awkward at first to do chording on such a long scale neck, but I've gotten used to it now.  It has a really sweet tone. Very clear piano like bloom that's similar to the EPI Thunderbird bass when I hit the low B.  Still tweaking sounds to get a good overdriven sound from it, so that will be a work in progress.  Overall, I'm loving it.

Lots of Kudos to the guys at Better Music for the time and care taken in the wiring and setup.

5056105472_1359e55466_z.jpg

5056105474_64056c6af9_z.jpg

5056105482_60e8e28b9f_z.jpg

Wel..funny you should say that. Inspiration was the below. I wanted a Goth look, without being Heavy Metal.

crow.jpg

Wow, that looks awesome. I love the red/black color scheme. Wenge with Macassar Ebony fingerboard would be a great neck combo. Looks heavy. Whats the weight?

Very cool guitar and I think the first Firebird I've ever really liked. What are the possibilities of a couple of soundclips?

Huh, a Firebird Bari, would've never thought of that, but I love it!  I wonder if I could talk W into cutting me a Firebird Bass 6 (I could even live with the Warheadstock...)
:headbang1:

only thing that seems odd to me is that you have a P-90 but you can't actually use it by itself. and i guess I would only have put a single coil in the middle to get it by itself 75% of the time.
i'd love to hear some recording clips of this beast in action

dNA said:
only thing that seems odd to me is that you have a P-90 but you can't actually use it by itself. and i guess I would only have put a single coil in the middle to get it by itself 75% of the time.
i'd love to hear some recording clips of this beast in action

Maybe I misread it, but it looks like he can use the P90 by itself.  3 vol knobs(one for each PU) and a on/off for the P90 only.

Sort of like the 3 PU wiring on those classic black 70's Les Paul customs.

Wow!  I love how the pickups fit in the whole red/black/gloss scheme! I've never even thought about putting a P-90 - even humbucker sized - in the middle (correct me if I'm wrong - it is a humbucker sized p-90, right?). Very cool, very innovative!
And even though I'm not really a fan of goth culture I've got to give you a credit because you clearly have a very good sense of aesthetics - all the woods and paints and knobs and whatever just fit together! It's not just the kind of thing where you have "a cool neck" or "a cool pickguard" but the guitar as a whole looks very pleasant. It has a theme, a character!
PS. Firebird is one of the coolest bodies out there.

It's a really cool color scheme.  I would of gone that route just to be able to use those control knobs.  The red accent reminds me of the little red firebird Gibson puts on the pickguard.

Somehow missed this one earlier.  Love the entire look of the build.  I completely agree with CB.  I saw Adam West batmobile right away too.

What does the headstock look like from the front?

Back