Fireball strat has arrived

DOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Effin gorgeous! :headbang1: Was it worth the wait and headaches? I'd probably say yes :kewlpics:

That is going to be a simply gorgeous guitar when it's done.  I love a blue burst on figured maple, and the binding sets it off beautifully.  Niiiiiiice.  Post pix.

Damn it, now I'm gonna have to make one too. Never been kene on how blue burst looks in Warmoth's showcase gallery but that looks divine.

Max said:
JaySwear said:
i always say i'm not a fan of quilted maple, then a guitar like this tries to change my mind!
You must be a man of tastes. I'm not fond of quilted maple, until you get to a piece like this, where it has tubular quilting.

Thanks everybody for the kind words.  In the rebuild I decided to go with quilt instead of flame, and in the unique choice I deliberately chose this one for it's long quilt patterns.  It's crazy what a finish will do on the right wood pattern.  On the back of the guitar the ash grain took on what looks like racing stripes down the middle.  My camera won't even come close to picking up the green glowing back, I take a picture and it just looks like normal blue.  The back of the goncallo neck has glowing iredecent grain patterns. Now I see what everyone was talking about, my camera can't comprehend all of the color. It was definately worth the wait, but now that I have it I feel a tremendous responsibility to get er done right. :eek:ccasion14:

NLD09 said:
that's a nice top. why are you calling it the fireball?

Errr...it was something someone else called it after I introduced the concept. It's really the Phoenix Down Strat, born of blue fire and white pearloid. :icon_jokercolor:  A blue firey look was what I was going for.

Firebird said:
Now I see what everyone was talking about, my camera can't comprehend all of the color.

My blue burst LP has amber and green in it that doesn't show up at all on camera.  With certain finishes, you just have to see it in person to fully understand how awesome it looks. 

Yeah, Goncalo has that certain interaction with the light that I haven't seen in pictures. A gorgeous wood.

Seems like now I have my guitar, the busier I have been with everything else.  Thank you all for the compliments.  I owe the fact that I have this guitar to Rob, otherwise would never been possible.  Thank you to CB for answering my finishing questions and all the information he has provided on finishing.  This forum has been a great source of information period. I am taking my time with finishing the headstock and building the guitar, so it won't be done right away.  I am deferring all further updates for this project to: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=14224.0 then later down the road to the Strat thread as a completed project.  :rock-on:

B3Guy said:
nice.  :icon_thumright: I wish to goodness they would do binding on headstocks, even if they have to make it cost an arm and a leg, I'd pay for it.  :sad1:
I know someone who can have headstock binding "done"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&hash=item3f0510bb1b&item=270667922203&nma=true&pt=Guitar_Accessories&rt=nc&si=kWjdFIliOSo5C5bfkyctzKOVKcQ%253D  :laughing3:

cool guitar, good looking neck. Can't wait till the neck for mine arrives in the next 10 years or so :p. Snow is bad for delaying packages.

Gabe said:
Can't wait till the neck for mine arrives in the next 10 years or so :p. Snow is bad for delaying packages.

Yeah, I ordered a neck Thursday, and here it is Saturday and it still isn't here! I'm thinking maybe I should call them... see if something's wrong... <grin>

PatienceMyAss_2.jpg

The anticipation of the last few weeks of knowing it was close was even worse than not thinking about it for a few months.  :icon_thumright:

I thought I would give this thread one last update just so the body as a whole can be seen as a before and after.  I will try to take better pictures when it is completely finished, but some of the ones I have are either bad light, good light bad reflection, etc.  The entire project lives at: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=14224.0 , and will be moved to the strat thread with sound clips in a few weeks.

5458984645_d96051a5ee.jpg

5459594106_8a23a146cd_b.jpg

5458987061_7aa10bfb3f.jpg

5458988733_548e8713a1_b.jpg

5458989475_8357e7fbba.jpg

5459591616_9a99acc010_b.jpg

Back