Another new ⅞ strat - this time in Roasted Swamp Ash w/ Roasted Maple neck

Just arrived. I am very happy with how it looks. I'm going to be doing a Tru-Oil finish on the body and leave the neck raw (other than burnishing the back and using some clear nitro on the headstock to bury a decal).

A few questions for those more knowledgable than myself:

1) How should I go about polishing the celluloid pickguard. It's fairly matte right now. I was thinking some Meguiars Ultimate Compound and/or some shine/wax?

2) What's the best method to burnish the jack plate to match the bridge more? Scotchbrite? Sand paper?

3) Any tips on drilling roasted ash? I've heard it can blowout/chip easily. I'm guessing start small and go slow?

Attachments

• RSA_Strat.jpg
    RSA_Strat.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 192
1) You might have done this but has the protective plastic film been removed from the pickguard?
That will make it look duller than it is.

2) There are no pics of either part so it is not clear what you are trying to achieve, burnishing is not really a term often used in relation to metal parts. Please provide more information.

3) Start your holes with the drill in reverse to get the hole started and proceed from there. Use a new sharp drill bit.

Thanks for the response!

1) That was my first thought. This pickguard doesn't appear to have plastic film on it - at least, not one that's easily removable. There doesn't seem to be any film lifting at the edges, and no amount of working with a thumbnail seems to raise any. This is the first time I've worked with a celluloid pickguard - do they not come with protective film?

2) See attached. The bridge is chrome, but has a brushed/blasted look, while the jack plate is smooth plated chrome. I'm hoping I can rough up the finish on the jack plate a bit to achieve something somewhat similar. I know I won't be able to get a blasted look without blasting it with some media, but if scotchbrite can get me close, I'd be happy.

3) Great tip, thank you!

Attachments

• Bridge&Jack.jpg
    Bridge&Jack.jpg
    838 KB · Views: 77
1) On the pickguard I am not familiar with that particular pickguard so other than trying to polish it I don't have another suggestion.

2) I would search for a Brushed Chrome or Satin Chrome Stratocaster Jack Plate to get a closer match. Trying to dull it would probably end up with more of an aged or relic look.

3) Glad the tip was helpful.

Back