Finishing a Warmoth Maple Neck

nexrex

Hey all, I had a new bare maple neck arrive today. This is going to be painted by me with a black headstock and then polyurethane gloss, and going into a friends strat project.  I really want to keep the coats on this thin so it doesn't build up too thick and interfere with the warmoth neck pocket. I was thinking probably 5 or 6 coats of poly. Is this not enough or too much?   Thanks    :icon_scratch:

Not enough information.

There are urethanes, and then again, there are urethanes. 

Rattle can urethane is not the same as a nice 2 part epoxy type urethane.

I used 6-8 coats of satin poly on my last neck. 

My advice is get it were you want it.  If you need to remove to it fits, then you can.

I only sprayed the contact points of the neck (where it meets the guitar) directly once or twice.  I left over spray to the rest.  No issues

Poly wears like iron.  I think anyhting more than 8-10 would be overkill.  Of course this is all dependant on how thick you spray the stuff.  If you are using rattle can, you would be luck if you used 1/2 the can.  I barely used 2 cans on a guitar and neck. 

A wipe on satin poly is my finish of choice for maple necks. It is really forgiving and easy to work with for nooobs like us.

Thanks for the advice DMARCO and rockskate4x. I am going to be doing a light shellac sealing coat first and then gloss polyurethane (Dupont) on this one.

I was planning on a wipe or two of shellac to give it a vintage tint and also highlight the birdeye in the maple. Is this a bad idea?

Shellac doesn't seem like a good choice based on my one time using it. Not durable and too thick. Minwax wipe on satin poly, two coats, has worked like a charm for a few of my necks. Dead easy and nice feel.

I would skip the shellac too.  It you want some tint, use some wipe on stain of your color choice. 

forgot to ask, does it have a maple or other type of fingerboard?

Easy way if using spray.  Tape off the top of the rosewood leaving the sides exposed.  Lay the neck fretboard down and start spraying.  I used a box to place it on and left the headstock exposed so I could spray it too.

Athis leaves a nice line on the fretboard.  Any overspraw can easily be knocked off with steel wool.  I will post some pictures if you like.

DMRACO said:
Easy way if using spray.  Tape off the top of the rosewood leaving the sides exposed.  Lay the neck fretboard down and start spraying.  I used a box to place it on and left the headstock exposed so I could spray it too.

Athis leaves a nice line on the fretboard.  Any overspraw can easily be knocked off with steel wool.  I will post some pictures if you like.

Thanks again DMARCO. No need for pics, I should be able to wrap my head around it.  :eek:ccasion14:

rockskate4x said:
A wipe on satin poly is my finish of choice for maple necks. It is really forgiving and easy to work with for nooobs like us.
Can you give an example of a wipe-on satin poly that would be appropriate for neck finishing?

Back