Finishing a neck with CA Glue?

LightMeDark

I've got a maple bass neck incoming from Warmoth and am considering using ca glue to finish it.  I've looked through a lot of the older posts here about grain filling with glue among a couple other things, but I haven't really seen anything by the way of results on a neck or even basic instructions.  I guess my big questions are what kind of preparation is needed and what viscosity of glue should be used?  I saw one post mentioning using acetone in the application process as well.

Anyone have any experience with something along these lines they'd like to share?  I'd really appreciate it ;D

Not much interest in this topic, but I thought I'd give an update.  I've been finishing my new bass neck with some super glue over the past few days, and it's going really well.  I'm ready to polish up the neck and then mask everything off but the pegface to do some priming and painting to match the body color.  If anyone's interested I can share my experiences with applying the glue.

I'm interested.  I've used it as grain filler on some other woodworking projects, and have done full finishing on some small test pieces.  But I've never actually done an entire neck with CA, so was hesitant to comment sooner.

What product(s) did you use?

The super glue I used was Loctite brand.  It was labeled Precision Max.  It lists 15-30 second dry time, so I'm guessing a medium-ish viscosity.  I've tried a couple different ways of applying the glue.  First I tried putting the glue on the neck then spreading it with the back of some sandpaper.  I also tried putting the glue directly on the paper first before spreading it on the neck.  I tried using a rubber glove covered finger.  I eventually settled on using those blue paper shop towels which I've found has worked the best for me so far.

I also experimented with rubbing acetone on the neck after application to attempt to spread the glue around more evenly, but I think that resulted in removing too much glue and not really helping much.  Maybe there's some other use for acetone that could help (thinning the glue before application? precoating neck with acetone, perhaps?).

I kinda just played things by ear, but here are the rough steps of application I've followed.  I applied two coats along the entire neck and headstock using the back of sandpaper and glove-covered finger techniques.  Both of these applications were followed with rubbing acetone on the neck.  The next morning I used 220 and 320 grit sandpaper on the entire neck to sand the glue level.  I think this removed most of the glue, but some was still definitely there as the neck felt more slick than before.

I then started applying glue using the blue shop towels, and I only coated the neck and not the headstock (also no longer used acetone).  I did this so I could hold the neck up by the headstock while I applied the glue.  This also allowed me to hold the neck at an angle from the light to easily see where I had applied glue and where I had not.  I put three coats on the neck after having done my sanding, then I sanded it down again using 220 and 320.  At this point I think the neck was sufficiently covered, but I ended up applying one more coat after I applied a few coats to only the headstock.  I'm now at the point where I've sanded everything down again to 220.

The neck feels awesome, but I'm going to go ahead and move up through higher grits of sandpaper on everything but the pegface.  I'm not sure where I'll stop as far as sanding and polishing goes.  I'm then going to primer and paint the pegface black to match the body.  Feel free to ask me to clarify anything.  This forum has been a great help for me, and I'm happy to help out in whatever newbish way I can ;)

-edit- Forgot to mention, I waited 30 minutes between coats of glue.

Back