FInally got my Wenge/Ebony Neck!!!!!!

m4rk0

Epic Member
I actually got it on Friday but didn't have the chance to take pics yet :)
I am really excited though and can't wait to play it.. I still need to finish the body though..
It looks great, much nicer than I expected , since most wenge necks I have seen  (on pictures) were just brown with no figuring. well there is lots of grain figuring on this one, and a lot of long open pores.
Here's some pics.. the ebony looks darker in real life and it still has some glue from the sticker on it..

Palomino018.jpg

Palomino028.jpg

Palomino023.jpg

Palomino024.jpg

Palomino006.jpg

Glad you're happy with that; I'm waiting on my wenge/ebony neck for my VIP build and if it comes in all grained like that instead of a more solid dark brown back like every other wenge neck I've ever seen on the Showcase, I'll be three kinds of tres pissed off and sending it back....

haha, I hope you'll get your solid brown neck.
I actually changed my mind at the last moment and switched from Rosewood to Wenge.. yes i wanted to join in with the hype!
Since I went for Wenge because of the tone and feel rather than looks, I did ask Jay (thanks Jay!) if they ever came across figured wenge.
He said they didn't, but now I wonder if he ended up making a note about that on the order....

I was also wondering if the long pores are normal..it doesn't bother me, but they almost look and feel like small cracks.. some of them over an inch long. you can see them the best on the 4th pic.

Hard to tell from the photo, how do they feel? I ordered my wenge/ebony neck based on all good things I'd been hearing, and the fact that I really like my other "raw" necks of rosewood/canary...

Yes, the long pores are normal and your neck looks just like mine do Mk4Ro; fantastic.

Jack you're wanting the grain pores or coloring of Rosewood, you won't be getting it. Wenge is a different animal; a beast really. Welcome to the new world of Wenge. If you don't dig it like the rest of us, use your 10 day grace period to call in for an RA number.  :icon_thumright:

Thanks Gregg for confirming the long pores! I am almost tempted to take another guitar apart so I can play and hear it before the body is finished :)

Jack, it feels great.. more 'woody' and 'raw' than my rosewood neck! probably because of the big pores ;)

Got no problem with the pores/wood feel at all; just worried about the color, was expecting something more along the lines of this to go with the rest of the VIP build:

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_necks.cfm?type=guitar&itemNumber=SN3917&menuItem=1&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0&neckWood_filter=35,51,57,59,63

Hurry and click link, SN3917 or any other exotic wood neck's life expectancy on Showcase is very limited....  Doubly so for anything sub-$300

And by-the-by; almost every player that sees the axe I built with the canarywood neck at first glance look at it askance, "how do you play on something that rough?" is a typical response, having never played on anything but highly finished Fender necks. Once they wrap their hand around it, the light bulb goes off over their heads; have one guy stashing money from his wife to get me to build him one...

M4rko  I like the neck, looks good to me.  The body looks good too.

Hey Jack, are you sure the lightbulbs are going off? or On?  Just curious

jackthehack said:
Got no problem with the pores/wood feel at all; just worried about the color, was expecting something more along the lines of this to go with the rest of the VIP build:

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_necks.cfm?type=guitar&itemNumber=SN3917&menuItem=1&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0&neckWood_filter=35,51,57,59,63

Hurry and click link, SN3917 or any other exotic wood neck's life expectancy on Showcase is very limited....  Doubly so for anything sub-$300
That picture is a good exampe of the limitations of the camera. The color is never solid like that. It almost always looks like the pictures at the beginning of this thread.

Buy a better camera; hope I don't have to wait three months for another neck; if it looks exactly like that I'll have to find another body that it'll go with...

jackthehack said:
Glad you're happy with that; I'm waiting on my wenge/ebony neck for my VIP build and if it comes in all grained like that instead of a more solid dark brown back like every other wenge neck I've ever seen on the Showcase, I'll be three kinds of tres pissed off and sending it back....

Hey Jack! Man, if the problem is the visual in the headstock, in the last case you can put a veneer from Rosewood or Walnut or Imbuya........ I did it in a Strat, the first guitar I build... Actually it's Imbuya Burl's veneer (I didn't find burl in my dictionary, but looking at the pictures, I think I can understand what it is... it's like the tree's root, right?)
But if you gonna get bored for that visual in the entire neck, it gonna be a problem...

It's just my expectation based on all the wenge neck photos I've seen on the Showcase to date; am/was expecting something more uniformly brown; it's going on this VIP body:

PRSbody.jpg

Don't know that the figuring/striping will look good with that body/finish

With custom inlay and other adds the neck wound up being $459. Hate to start all over again and wait another 12 weeks on something else, will hope for best when it comes, might consider sending it back for a transparent amber finish; but that kind of defeats the purpose of ordering wenge in the first place....

Gregg - The order number was 127581, when I checked Monday it was still in "Woodworking", any way to get a shot of the work in progess to determine if I want to lay a factory finish prior to shipping?

Jack, that neck will look fantastic on that body either way!  :)

*Edit - Noooo, don't put a finish on it.. you'll never know how good it feels!

Hi Jack,......Hijack?

Can't put a finish on Wenge. I'll see if I can find it though.

???More fine print absent from the website???

Just giving you shit; I'm assuming you're a GOOD sales mgr. and know me well enough by now to know that worse case scenario you'll wind up having me give you more shit on this site and buying another VIP body...

Back