Finally going for my second build! - The.. Charvocaster?

Timmsie95 said:
BroccoliRob said:
Rgand said:
Cagey said:
Pizza is good for you, unless you're one of the 7 people on the planet for whom gluten is a problem. How did that stuff ever get such a bad rap?
It's one of the 4 main food groups. Pizza, beer, coffee and donuts.
I mean, pizza doesnt have much real nutrition until i add my special blend of candy to create my proprietary #EnergyPizza and you be zoomin for days on end.

I approve of this.
Also add maple syrup because I'm Canadian, and you're golden!  :laughing7:

He's clearly a Buffalonian. 

I know that’s where I was at with it as well. From my experience you really can’t go wrong with brass in the bridge. I played MusicMan JPs for years and the big brass Trem block seemed to have a lot of thump to it. Also I’m not sure if we’ll even be able to get them too much longer I’ve never been able to get ahold of the guy that makes the 2tek bridges...not sure if he’s still in business?

Isangard said:
I know that’s where I was at with it as well. From my experience you really can’t go wrong with brass in the bridge. I played MusicMan JPs for years and the big brass Trem block seemed to have a lot of thump to it. Also I’m not sure if we’ll even be able to get them too much longer I’ve never been able to get ahold of the guy that makes the 2tek bridges...not sure if he’s still in business?

Yeah, brass bridges tend to be my favourite tonally.
From what I can tell, Warmoth is the only place where they're available. I'm not sure if the original maker has anything to do with it anymore. I think Warmoth has them made by an outsourced factory.

So since I'm really indecisive, I changed the design.. (surprise!)
So I was looking around on the FU-Tone site, and kinda realized that non-recessed floyds are really cool and actually stable.
with the brass/titanium/stainless parts on one of their FU2 bridges, along with a Tremol-no, I think I'll be really happy, and it will look more like a Charvel than my original design.
I'll also get a set of saddle shims from Philadelphia Luthier Supply, so I can match the radius of the strings at the bridge a little better.
It is going to raise my overall cost a bit, but for now, I'm going to stick with it.
So here's the new mockup! (Sans locking nut and retainer bar, because laziness...)

Attachments

• BlueSoloistMockup_Floyd.jpg
    BlueSoloistMockup_Floyd.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
but teddy bro-osevelt, don't you want to #flutter? That's one of the most coolest things about having a recessed floyd is all the sound fx you can make. Just ask Herman Li. You can't flutter like a hummingbird and sting like my pee with just a regular Floyd.

BroccoliRob said:
but teddy bro-osevelt, don't you want to #flutter? That's one of the most coolest things about having a recessed floyd is all the sound fx you can make. Just ask Herman Li. You can't flutter like a hummingbird and sting like my pee with just a regular Floyd.

Actually you can, haha. I set up non-recessed trems to rest about 1 or 2 millimetres above the body, and it gives you enough to bend a half step up, which is plenty to flutter.
Or I can crank the screws (or just set the Tremol-No to "dive only mode) and retune, and we're back on stable territory!

Well if you're just gonna float a top mounting then u might as well get recessed, no? Don't most peeps deck their top mount floyd? i thought that was the point of doing it that way

BroccoliRob said:
Well if you're just gonna float a top mounting then u might as well get recessed, no? Don't most peeps deck their top mount floyd? i thought that was the point of doing it that way

I'd rather not take out all that wood if I don't need to. It also allows me to get a bigger trem block, and since I don't pull up on the bar, it's pointless to recess it. It's easier to deck a top mount than it is a recessed as well.

EDIT: I don't know if anyone else is seeing the pictures upside down, but I don't know why they are... Sorry!

My killswitch and toggle switch showed up today!
The box was in questionable condition (thanks a bunch, Canada Post...) but the contents were safely wrapped in newspaper.
Both feel incredibly well-built. The DiMarzio toggle switch has a nice satisfying "pop" with a definite location for each toggle position (if that makes sense...) Absolutely no wiggle on that switch, even in the middle position. I'd recommend this thing to anyone looking for a 3 way toggle, even if you aren't doing any crazy wiring.
The Tesi Switch "IDO" momentary push-button killswitch is also very nice. the spring seems like it will last a lifetime, and it has a good weight to it. You can sort of hear the button sliding down the shaft (hehe..) if you move it slowly, due to the texturized metal, but it's not loud, and you won't hear it if you're plugged in, and the pickups shouldn't pick it up.

Couldn't be happier with these two!  :blob7:

Attachments

• 20191219_104704.jpg
    20191219_104704.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20191219_104850.jpg
    20191219_104850.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • 20191219_105021.jpg
    20191219_105021.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 20191219_105210.jpg
    20191219_105210.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • 20191219_105227.jpg
    20191219_105227.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
I got that exact DiMarzio switch in my Jaguar. And I agree - it’s a great switch. Feels solid.

Logrinn said:
I got that exact DiMarzio switch in my Jaguar. And I agree - it’s a great switch. Feels solid.
Yeah, I'm probably going to use this thing on every guitar from here on out.
I first heard of them when I looked into how the Music Man JP guitars had a split coil sound in the middle position, without a push pull. Now I'm probably going to buy one to go on every new guitar I get/make, hahaha.

:eek:ccasion14:

Back