Finally going for my second build! - The.. Charvocaster?

Timmsie95

So this is slightly premature, because I haven't ordered the guitar yet, but I've basically finalized the design and started ordering hardware.
It'll be a long process, and I'm ordering things here and there (rather than all at once) over the next few months, but here we go!

Modelled off of the new Charvel DK24's that have roasted necks, but with my own twist.
So here are my "specs-to-be":

Body:
    * Model: Soloist
    * Wood: Alder
    * Scale: 25-1/2”
    * Right/Left: Right Handed
    * Rout: Rear Rout
    * Pickup Rout: Humbucker (Neck), None (Middle), Humbucker (Bridge)
    * Controls: None
    * Bridge: 2Tek
    * Jack Rout: 7/8” (22mm) Side Jack Hole
    * Neck Pocket: Strat Shape
    * Contours: Contoured Heel / Tummy Cut / Forearm Contour
    * Finish: Taos Turquoise
    * Finish Type: Satin Finish
Neck:
    * Model: Modern Construction Stratocaster
    * Wood: Roasted Maple/Roasted Maple
    * Right/Left: Right Handed
    * Nut Width: 1-11/16”
    * Neck Profile: Standard Thin
    * Fret Size: SS6150 (Stainless)
    * Tuner Ream: Schaller (25/64”)
    * Inlays: Arizona Turquoise Stone Dots
    * Side Dots: Moon Glow Side Dots (3mm)
    * Radius: 10-16” Compound
    * Scale: 25-1/2”
    * Fret #: 22
    * Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
    * Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: GraphTech White TUSQ XL - Standard Nut
    * Finish: No Finish

- DiMarzio Super Distortion and PAF 36th Anniversary pickups in white, with black pole pieces, direct mounted with FU-Tone PMS pickup mounts
- Single volume (CTS Emerson Custom 500k from StewMac)
- Tesi Switch "IDO Super M" 10mm momentary push button killswitch
- DiMarzio EP1111 4PDT 3-Way Toggle Switch (wired for Bridge, Split Series Inner Coils, Neck)
- Hipshot Griplock Open Gear tuners
- Schaller S-Lock straplocks
- Custom "PRS-like" orientation of controls (I just love the positioning, so that's what I'll do for this one)

Aaand if you remember me, I used to photoshop mockups of every dream build, so I did a quick one. It's not perfect, there's no tuners, the neck won't be roasted flame maple, and the inlays won't be abalone, but that's what I could find that was closest in the In Stock section.

I have the chrome dome knob, and a bit of copper shielding for the control cavity cover already, and I have ordered the killswitch and the DiMarzio toggle switch. It's not much of a start, but I had to do it in order to stick with it and actually go through with it.

It'll probably be a long time between me posting updates, but I'll keep this thread updated when I have updates!

I'm really excited for this one. It'll eventually be my main for the 80's shred group that I play in.

Attachments

• BlueSoloistMockup3.jpg
    BlueSoloistMockup3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
That'll be a fine one. It'll be fun to follow along at whatever pace you set.

gingataff said:
Very cool!
But 80s shred should always have a floyd ;)
I like the look of a floyd, but I will never buy a floyd ever again, hahaha. Too much effort to set up and such. I'm a simple man  :laughing7:

Sounds badass, my dude! Plz make it happen. It's the circle of life: your mom eats pizza > you're a baby > you build a dank Warmoth > your car ruins the environment > ? ? ? > your mom eats more pizza. The cycle remains unbroken.

Pizza is good for you, unless you're one of the 7 people on the planet for whom gluten is a problem. How did that stuff ever get such a bad rap?

That Charvel Pro-Mod series really is a solid value for a factory guitar.  I've played a couple and they really do stand up well.  You could do a lot worse than to replicate one of those babies.

Cagey said:
Pizza is good for you, unless you're one of the 7 people on the planet for whom gluten is a problem. How did that stuff ever get such a bad rap?
It's one of the 4 main food groups. Pizza, beer, coffee and donuts.

Rgand said:
Cagey said:
I mean, pizza doesnt have much real nutrition until i add my special blend of candy to create my proprietary #EnergyPizza and you be zoomin for days on end.

BroccoliRob said:
Rgand said:
Cagey said:
I mean, pizza doesnt have much real nutrition until i add my special blend of candy to create my proprietary #EnergyPizza and you be zoomin for days on end.

I approve of this.
Also add maple syrup because I'm Canadian, and you're golden!  :laughing7:

Oh also, I updated my mockup to include tuners, and the neck is now closer to what the final product will look like. Still not happy with the look of the tuning keys, because I took the image from a computer generated representation, but I'll work on that.

Gonna be ordering my DiMarzio pickups next week most likely, and I received the shielding paint in an unnecessarily large box from amazon today! The toggle switch and kill switch should be arriving early next week.

Attachments

• BlueSoloistMockup4.jpg
    BlueSoloistMockup4.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 20191210_2203452.jpg
    20191210_2203452.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Going to be a ripper build, I love the look of those Charvel's but I don't think any stores in my city stock them. Closest place is a 12 hour return trip, and I live in the 3rd largest city in the country! Would look awesome with a Floyd, but I agree that they're pretty annoying to setup, I barely play my floyd equipped guitar anymore.

Axkoa said:
Going to be a ripper build, I love the look of those Charvel's but I don't think any stores in my city stock them. Closest place is a 12 hour return trip, and I live in the 3rd largest city in the country! Would look awesome with a Floyd, but I agree that they're pretty annoying to setup, I barely play my floyd equipped guitar anymore.

Thanks!
Yeah my local store has one of the Burgundy Mist HH ones right now, and I fell in love with it.
I never use trems at all, or tone knobs, so I adapted it to exactly what I'd love, while keeping it as close to the Charvel as possible. I think it's gonna turn out gnarly!

Timmsie95 said:
BroccoliRob said:
Rgand said:
Cagey said:
I approve of this.
Also add maple syrup because I'm Canadian, and you're golden!  :laughing7:
Thank you! I thought of being solid gold is frightening but i have a good metallurgy guy who could prolly help me out if the Midas Touch ever happened to me (not the tires I'm talkin straight Greek mythos)

Another little update:

I just ordered my pickups from The Axe Palace.
They are DiMarzio Super Distortion (bridge) and PAF 36th Anniversary (neck) with white bobbins and black pole pieces.
Since it's a custom colour configuration, it'll probably take a few weeks t oget here, especially since A) I'm in Canada, and B) I had to order through The Axe Palace, who then has to place the order through DiMarzio. I'm not sure if they'll ship to me directly from DiMarzio, or if The Axe Palace receives them and then ships them out to me, but either way - it'll take a while.

:blob7:

Looks great. Reconsidering my death metal strat - the soloist body really looks great with the strat headstock. Tough call. Maybe just build two. Also, have you tried the 2tek before? I was thinking of taking a chance on one as well.

Isangard said:
Looks great. Reconsidering my death metal strat - the soloist body really looks great with the strat headstock. Tough call. Maybe just build two. Also, have you tried the 2tek before? I was thinking of taking a chance on one as well.

I was initially going to get a Strat body, but then I played the Charvel DK24 and fell in love, haha.

I haven't played a 2TEK bridge myself, but I've heard only good things about them, and all the specs seem amazing.

Back