FINALLY (Blue LP Update w/ Pics!)

I didn't want to hijack the "Guitar of the Month" thread, but I noticed you said you are changing pickups. You didn't like the Alumitones? 

I like the Alumitones, but they aren't compatible with the Jimmy Page wiring that I want.  So yes, I will change them.

hannaugh said:
I like the Alumitones, but they aren't compatible with the Jimmy Page wiring that I want.  So yes, I will change them.
Any thoughts on what your going with? What styles on music do you play? Maybe i could help with some suggestions.

Well, I'm thinking about something from Rio Grande, but I'm not sure yet.  I haven't been shopping around that much because I went on vacation, got a new job, I'm trying to move into an apartment, and I'm getting married next month. 

I play rock, blues, weird random stuff like Gogol Bordello and Beirut style, and I'm interested in getting into jazz playing.  So basically I need versatility with enough power for hard rock, and I need it to sound good with the Jimmy Page wiring. 

hannaugh said:
I play rock, blues, weird random stuff like Gogol Bordello and Beirut style, and I'm interested in getting into jazz playing.  So basically I need versatility with enough power for hard rock, and I need it to sound good with the Jimmy Page wiring. 

You know what, if you're wide open like that musically, I'd get a set of Lollars.  They are lower output than, say, Duncans, but they have great tone and can work well with several styles.  You can get them in 4 wire versions for the JP wiring.

One recommendation I can make from experience is putting a Seymour Duncan Jazz pup in the neck. One of the smoothest pups I've ever played. Clean and clear, not muddy and not too bright. Nice output without being too loud or overbearing. Any guitar I own with a HB in the neck position gets that pup, unless I'm running EMG's. For the bridge there are plenty of options. SD Custom, Custom5, Pearly Gates, JB, Screamin' Demon (a great all around bridge pup). Rio Grande BBQ.

I really like Seymour Duncan pickups.  I have the JB in two of my guitars in the bridge position and I couldn't be happier with it.  And I agree with you DbU, the jazz pickup in the neck is a great choice.  I have that in my main guitar (my Warmoth build, VIP) and it sounds awsum.  Very clean and clear tone that dirties up nicely when distorted.  That guitar also has a JB in the bridge.  I couldn't be happier with that combination.  I have a SD '59 humbucker in the neck of one of my Les Pauls and it's ok, but a little bit too much output for my taste for that position.  May switch to a jazz in the future.  If I ever put down the VIP long enough to warm up my soldering iron.....Just my opinion though...

Fish said:
I really like Seymour Duncan pickups.  I have the JB in two of my guitars in the bridge position and I couldn't be happier with it.  And I agree with you DbU, the jazz pickup in the neck is a great choice.  I have that in my main guitar (my Warmoth build, VIP) and it sounds awsum.  Very clean and clear tone that dirties up nicely when distorted.  That guitar also has a JB in the bridge.  I couldn't be happier with that combination.  I have a SD '59 humbucker in the neck of one of my Les Pauls and it's ok, but a little bit too much output for my taste for that position.  May switch to a jazz in the future.  If I ever put down the VIP long enough to warm up my soldering iron.....Just my opinion though...
Long time SD player here, although lately I've been moving more and more into the EMG world. My favorite combo (depending on guitar layout) used to be the SD Invader bridge with either the Jazz humbucker or Cool Rails single coils. Awesome combo either way. The Invader is really an under rated pup. Really not something you want in an already dark tone wood guitar, but anything on the brighter side rips!!!

hannaugh, how do the alumitones in a les paul sound like. is it muddy, mushy? or is it tight with a nice dose of mids and highs?

hannaugh said:

Bare Knuckle The Mule :)

I still say DiMarzio Air Zone or Norton in the bridge, and an Air Norton in the neck.  VERY versatile combo.

ah, no dimarzio pickups. just bland sounding, boring...

Bareknuckle mule  :headbang:
bareknuckle cool sweat  :headbang: :headbang:
seymour duncan prails  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Orpheo said:

my diMarzio Breed and Evo PUs rock.  I like them more than duncan PU I have had...(pearly gates, CUstom/Custom)

I have the SD 59/Custom 5 in my strat and the RG TX/BBQ in my LP.  Both are really good.  I think the RGs are hotter.

dmraco said:
Orpheo said:

my diMarzio Breed and Evo PUs rock.  I like them more than duncan PU I have had...(pearly gates, CUstom/Custom)

I've had those too, but for me, dimarzio's sound a bit flat, dull, boring, not so complex as I'd like.

THAT is a pretty LP! very awesome.

locking tuners are the way to go! i don't know if they help/suck tone, but they're almost too convenient for me to care.

Orpheo said:
hannaugh, how do the alumitones in a les paul sound like. is it muddy, mushy? or is it tight with a nice dose of mids and highs?

The best I can describe them as is "bluesy".  They respond well to effects, and clean they have a lot of mid and bass.  I do have to turn them all the way up to 11 (man, I'll never get tired of saying that) on the tone knob to get the treble-ish more single coil sound, but they don't sound tinny when they're up there. 

I actually like them a lot, so I'm not going to sell them to buy the new ones.  I'll just save up for something else and keep the Alumitones around for a future project.

If you're on a budget, seriously give the SD Jazz a think for the neck - you can probably find one for $50 on ebay and it is a very versatile pickup. It's NOT just for jazz - it loves OD but cleans up fantastically. My experience, and some others here, is the Rio Grandes are too hot to be very versatile. I tried their P90 and was not impressed.

I have been thinking the SD Jazz would be good for the neck.  I want something with some oomph for the bridge though, for that badass rock I love so much. 

Back