Filling pot holes in solid body

Mugician

I'm still waiting for the funds to build my very own Warmoth  :blob7:, and while doing so, playing on a Michael Kelly Patriot. I don't know what year it is, though I'm assuming it's one of the earlier runs. Quilted maple cap, clear finish, rosewood fretboard and the four knob set up.

I hate the four knob set up.  :doh:

I'm looking into new pickups kind of soon and want to rewire the guitar for a two knob set-up. Has anyone tried filling holes before? I realize this could potentially be quite a task, as it's a natural finish, but I'm so sick of the four-knob thing. It's so useless for what I do. I also really really really don't want to have dummy pots in my guitar, because then I would feel stupid for some reason.

Any ideas?

Named after one of the members, mullyman.

[quote author=Mulyman]
Top hole covered in black electrical tape ala MULLY......I did that to the Strats I had in the past, kind of my thing.
[/quote]

cherry005gk1.jpg

You should never smoke that kind of thing when holding your guitar!
oh hold on, let me read your whole post...  :tard:

Hahaha. I don't know if I'd like the look of that on this: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3333/3229995606_0751a2d2ef_b.jpg

Anyone have any other suggestions? What about a wooden peg? Jeez. I really just want my Warmoth guitar now now now now now!  :blob7:

i was going to tell you that you can do a nearly invisible job if you are able to select the peice of wood to use from a large supply of similar wood, picking just the right bit, then meticulously painting a matching grain, using an airbrush to get just the matching hue. But on a top like that, I'm pretty sure you will always see the filled hole to a certain degree. So you have two options, either fill the holes and aim to make it as unnoticeable as possible, or on the other hand close the hole with something contrasting but esthetically pleasing. You don't want a dummy pot, but how about incorporating a pair of micro switches into your diagram?

I was thinking about the switches, in fact, I even posted a thread a couple days back asking if the mini toggles would fit perfectly. But then I realized that I really don't have any use for mini-toggles.

Black electrical tape is out of the question, is there anything else simple and somewhat effective that I can use?

Well, it's a matter of taste so I can't realy sum up all the things you could stick over those holes. A piece of rhinestone, a gold peso, a little enameled logo, ...

I guess you could do series/parallel or coil taps mini switches, if you can't think of anything else to do with those holes...

I don't really dig series/parallel I don't really have any use for it. I already have coil tapping on the guitar....

Marko said:

Hahahahahahaha you had me cracking up for 10 minutes before I decided to calm down.

I just moved my guitars volume knob and put a plug in the old hole.This one fit perfectly.I hated the position of my old knob and moved it.Not sure if  you saw this(it was in  another thread on this forum),but here is the before and after.
strat017.jpg

lonestar.jpg

rounce55 said:
Marko said:

Hahahahahahaha you had me cracking up for 10 minutes before I decided to calm down.

I once worked at a place (in europe) where it was easy to pick out the potheads, by the holes in their shirts.
( i guess pot is more popular in solid form in europe as opposed to little dried twigs in the US - not that I am an expert, but I AM from Holland)

Mugician said:
That looks good, what did you use for the plug?

Thats a good question.My local guitar luthier had them at his shop.I will try and get in touch with him to see exactly what they are if you are interested.

Definitely interested. I'm waiting for a pair of pickups arrive and I want to put em in soon!  :icon_biggrin:

So the sooner you find out the better! Thanks!

Back