Figured Koa Hollowbody Tele

bigfatpaul

Just finished my second build and am very pleased with how it turned out. Here are the specs:

Body: Mahogany hollowbody with figured Koa top and 2 F-holes and cream binding.
Bridge: recessed Gotoh tune-o-matic.
Pickups: Dimarzio PAF 36 Anniversary humbuckers
Toggle: Freeway 3x3, 6 position toggle
Switching: 1-3 are normal humbuckers, 4-6 are the pickups in parallel as opposed to series. The tone knob is push/pull and operates a phase switch for position 2, giving that nasal Peter Green / Khrungabin sound.
Neck: Roasted flamed maple Gibson conversion tilt-back design with Warmoth headstock, with specially selected Pao Ferro fretboard with Nightswan inlays and cream binding. Was unfinished but I added about 5 coats of Tru-Oil and a light coat of Birchwood Casey Gun Stock Wax that really brought out the flames. Sperzel locking tuners. Truss cover by Thalia designs.

I'm super happy with it. It's light as a feather but big on tone. Great full - but not hot - humbucker sound, and then in parallel mode it opens up a bit to get more bouncy/rounded. All useable. It's also very loud unplugged.

Hope y'all like it!

Attachments

• Front - grey.jpg
    Front - grey.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 282
  • Full - grey.jpg
    Full - grey.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 231
  • Side green.jpg
    Side green.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 199
  • Side 2 green.jpg
    Side 2 green.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 196
  • Full green.jpg
    Full green.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 185
  • Back green.jpg
    Back green.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 207
  • Top green.jpg
    Top green.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 184
  • Play green.jpg
    Play green.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 216
Good God man, you're making me sickness of "I wants it" rear it's head.

That is stunningly beautiful

I absolutely love this build @bigfatpaul. A+ work here.

I've been plotting an extremely similar build for a long time (different woods, finish and with P90s, but otherwise nearly same specs).

Was it any challenge to wire up that six-way switch running everything through the wiring channel up to the LP-style switch rout? I assume the pups had shielded 4-conductor wire? Did you have to shorten the lead on the neck pickup, or was there plenty of room for everything?

Also that LP-style switch with the 2 control holes by the F-hole is on the "secret menu" that has to be ordered through a Warmonth rep right?

Also love the moon motif on the truss rod cover matching the vibe of the inlays. Where'd you get the cover and what's it made of?

Back