Fiesta Red using ColorTone Pigments

dilney

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I searched the forum and couldn't find the answer.

I'm planning on getting ColorTone pigments from StewMac to mix with clear lacquer and make my own colors. In the long run this is much cheaper than buying spray cans of Fender colors.

However, I wonder how hard it is to get the right colors and if anybody could give me some pointers on the mix to get Fiesta Red...

Thanks in advance!

According to the Stewmac finishing book, the recipe for fiesta red is:

10 ounces ready to spray clear lacquer
1 to 2 tablespoons red pigment
1/4 teaspoon white pigment
several drops yellow pigment

1. Place the red pigment in  mixing jar and add small amounts of thinner until you get a slurry
2. Add clear lacquer to the slurry, a little at a time, until you get a red lacquer. Mix it well
3. Add White until you are close to the lightness of the pastel color you envision and mix well again
4. Add just enough yellow (in small amounts) to give it the slight orange quality of fiesta red

Many thanks!!!
RoboNarples said:
According to the Stewmac finishing book, the recipe for fiesta red is:

10 ounces ready to spray clear lacquer
1 to 2 tablespoons red pigment
1/4 teaspoon white pigment
several drops yellow pigment

1. Place the red pigment in  mixing jar and add small amounts of thinner until you get a slurry
2. Add clear lacquer to the slurry, a little at a time, until you get a red lacquer. Mix it well
3. Add White until you are close to the lightness of the pastel color you envision and mix well again
4. Add just enough yellow (in small amounts) to give it the slight orange quality of fiesta red

This is awesome - I have recently acquired a bunch of Behlen pigments from a woodworking operation that went out of business.  I have long fantasized about a Fiesta Red Strat.  Now I know where to begin!

Back