Fenderbird Bass

Well, sorry to hear about the space news...

If it don't work, think about get another pickup or talk to Tim Mills at Bare Knuckle P.U., he problably can rewound those...

getting a active pre amp for passive pick ups..... confuzing for a simple person like me  :sad1:..... but still awesome bass,  :eek:ccasion14:

TheBeed said:
getting a active pre amp for passive pick ups..... confuzing for a simple person like me  :sad1:..... but still awesome bass,  :eek:ccasion14:

IF the passives don't cut it and need an active pre amp, this is a good idea.

I'm sure someone who plays bass regularly could fill us in on what is the better brands in this area. Aguilar is one name I know, but not sure if they make preamps that match passive pickups. I think Bartolini make such preamps too. :icon_scratch:

with the exception of some EMG pickups and a few other obscure pickup brands, most ALL bass pickups (guitar pickups, too, for that matter) are passive

most active preamps work best with passive pickups

if this was my bass (which it clearly is NOT) ... I'd slam a set of Nordstrand Big Splits in there and utilize a CTS 250k ohm Volume pot, CTS 250k ohm blend pot, and a CTS 250k ohm tone pot with a .047uf Orange Drop cap ... run all this into a Switchcraft mono jack and be done with it

if you simply HAD to have a pre-amp, consider an Aguilar OBP-1. And please, give consideration to a pre-amp only if you're willing to wire it with a bypass switch. nice thing on the OBP-1 is that it's about a transparent a pre-amp as you're going to find when everything is set flat - exactly what you want if you're the hired bassist holding the seat in studio sessons and backup gigs.

here's my time tested logic for this:

with very rare exception, basses sound best in the studio when utilized passively into a good quality direct box and straight into the mixing console. can't tell you why exactly, but there's just some kind of magic that happens when you run this kind of signal chain

for live purposes, having all of that passive glory at you beckoning command is pure nirvana - but some guys like to have a little more control at their fingertips, and this is where you'd make use of turning on the pre-amp and goosing it alittle to make a few MINOR adjustment to accommodate the dynamics of the specific room you're playing. the idea is usually to add a little crispness that will allow the definition of your notes to be heard, and to fill out the bottom so that you're keeping in step with the kick and keyboards.

all the best,

R

SkuttleFunk said:
with the exception of some EMG pickups and a few other obscure pickup brands, most ALL bass pickups (guitar pickups, too, for that matter) are passive

most active preamps work best with passive pickups

if this was my bass (which it clearly is NOT) ... I'd slam a set of Nordstrand Big Splits in there and utilize a CTS 250k ohm Volume pot, CTS 250k ohm blend pot, and a CTS 250k ohm tone pot with a .047uf Orange Drop cap ... run all this into a Switchcraft mono jack and be done with it

if you simply HAD to have a pre-amp, consider an Aguilar OBP-1. And please, give consideration to a pre-amp only if you're willing to wire it with a bypass switch. nice thing on the OBP-1 is that it's about a transparent a pre-amp as you're going to find when everything is set flat - exactly what you want if you're the hired bassist holding the seat in studio sessons and backup gigs.

here's my time tested logic for this:

with very rare exception, basses sound best in the studio when utilized passively into a good quality direct box and straight into the mixing console. can't tell you why exactly, but there's just some kind of magic that happens when you run this kind of signal chain

for live purposes, having all of that passive glory at you beckoning command is pure nirvana - but some guys like to have a little more control at their fingertips, and this is where you'd make use of turning on the pre-amp and goosing it alittle to make a few MINOR adjustment to accommodate the dynamics of the specific room you're playing. the idea is usually to add a little crispness that will allow the definition of your notes to be heard, and to fill out the bottom so that you're keeping in step with the kick and keyboards.

all the best,

R

That sounds like good advice from someone with long experience.

Well, that just about settles it I think.  When I was testing it with the active setup it sounded like many things, but transparent certainly was not one of them.  Also, I talked to my bass player about it, and she never uses an active setup (she mostly plays her old Jazz Bass - completely passive).  She's likely going to be playing the FBird the most, so she suggested a straight old two volume/one tone setup ... which is surprisingly just like her Jazz  :)

I'll report back when I have it wired.

Oh yea - I've just spent the last hour re-learning "Limelight" and "the real me" on this bass.    :toothy10:

mayfly said:
Oh yea - I've just spent the last hour re-learning "Limelight" and "the real me" on this bass.    :toothy10:

Excellent! Not too many find this video because his name is spelled incorrectly...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfDE-ZvfOwU

But, THAT is as bad as it gets.

Hi Folks,

Got the pots, wired it up (with a mallory cap - sorry don't like orange drops :icon_biggrin:), gave it a spin.

It sounds MUCH better!  Much more alive and punchy sounding.  I think we have a winner...

BTW, NT - we're starting to like the look of the black pickguard:

n527102111_1702251_7150.jpg

mayfly said:

The infection in my leg start to get good, so I'll be able to kick your ass  :laughing7:

For with pickguard, I think the white suits better... :icon_tongue:

NonsenseTele said:
mayfly said:

The infection in my leg start to get good, so I'll be able to kick your ass  :laughing7:

For with pickguard, I think the white suits better... :icon_tongue:

:laughing3:

Bass looks fantastic mayfly, I think it looks great with the black, don't listen to Fernando he's not quite right in the head.... :dontknow:

honestly, the white pickguard looks super sick, I'm glad you decided to not go without one, it just adds far too much character to that thunderbird look.

When I saw it with the black one, I was like, ah that's better, then when I saw the white one on it, I thought to myself, wow! much better!!!

Just my 2 cents, but I highly recommend the white

sorry nonsense it's just my preference  :cool01:

Back