Fender/Warmoth Telecaster build - gearing up

Well, the marks are less visible ... but it's going to be a lot of work to really shift them. I'm trying to decide now whether this would look better as a natural finish or if I should use the Wudtone Carmine Gypsy finish kit I've got lying around.

18ALM3t.jpg

I'm just wondering how well it would turn out if there's discoloration in the wood, any thoughts? Obviously this is the ideal ...

Lx6EfOR.jpg

GilgaFrank said:
...Obviously this is the ideal ...

If that's the ideal why didn't you just get a strat to begin with? ???

:icon_jokercolor:

Seriously, how visible do you think the marks would be under a finish like that? In the event they'd still be visible, would you consider a solid color?

You might also consider a bleaching it  That might lighten the scorches.

Here's a typical product:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/826134/liberon-wood-bleach-14-pint.aspx

There are also two-part kits out there, with a bleach and a neutralizer.

The tele photos are pretty funny.  I can't believe people sometimes.  I think you should go with the natural finish because it is a nice piece of ash  :)

IMHO if you really want to get an even finish you're gonna have to sand off the rest of those burn marks.

Mayfly said:
... if you really want to get an even finish you're gonna have to sand off the rest of those burn marks.

I sort of came to this conclusion as soon as I posted the last pic. I was just getting tired of sanding, I need to grab a coffee and get back into taking the scorch marks out. Bleaching is an option I suppose, I'll see how well I can sand it back then maybe consider bleaching.

Glimmer said:
If that's the ideal why didn't you just get a strat to begin with? ???

:icon_jokercolor:

If you knew how many Strats I own, you wouldn't even be asking if I need another!

I'm not sure any kind of bleach is going to work on burn marks, as they're carbon-based. Also, if you decide to try it anyway, you'll need to do the entire piece as it'll neutralize the natural tannins in the wood so a spot repair will end up much lighter than the surrounding area. Since that's Ash, bleaching it is going to remove all that lovely grain character.

So, the solution is to remove the burned material, as you've been doing. You're just not done yet. Be sure to use a sanding block or something similar to ensure a flat surface, or the waves will show up in the finish from too much uneven material removal.

if you have access to it, you could maybe mount the thing to a sled and send it through a planer.  Just a thought.  Athough it might end with rending of garments and gnashing of teeth, since of course you might also need to deepen the neck pocket and pickup routs, and do the round over on the edge with a router and now it's starting to sound like more trouble than it'd be worth so never mind.

Carry on.

Bagman

A planer? That's a bit drastic. I'll keep sanding, we'll get there eventually. And thinking about the bleach, I'm not sure it's a good idea as the Wudtone dye kit may not take properly on bleached wood.

A thickness planer may be too aggressive, but if you can find someone with a drum sander, that could save a lot of time. Takes less wood off, so you wouldn't have to worry about dimensional changes.

g1079r_det1-309f7efb6bcba6c092cd8f3425c7d0e5.jpg

Unfortunately, that's not the kind of machine you'll find very often except in the shops of very serious woodworkers. It's not that they're impossibly expensive (the 18" unit pictured above is less than $1,200), just that they're quite heavy and tend to take up a lotta room, which is often at a premium even in serious shops. Plus, you really need a centralized dust collection system and 220V power.

Quite a hefty demographic chunk of Americans, and people (there IS some overlap), don't really know WHY they find themselves gravitating to the "hobby" of working on their own guitars, maybe pick up a pickup, say, paint an ugly old P.O.S. of a guitar (Whast a loverly P.O.S. you have!) and then down the inevitable chute to the underworld of... kinda, well, right here, furzample.

Of COURSE the major driving force behind ALL SORTS of "acting out" among these latent mental health timebombs - THEY HATE THEIR TELEVISION! They hate their HOUSE... even if the entire house, grounds, terrarium, dungeon WHATEVER is totally theirs, all paid off - that howling screaming (yet soo-oothing?) lilting goddamn one-eyed sewage pipe OWNS YOUR LIVING ROOM. No escape. It's ALWAYS on. So, it's off to the dungeon tra la to pound and scrape and varnish and unvarnish and screw and unscrew a reasonably-innocent piece of wood(s). Take THAT! FOX "News!" Pow! Pow! Take THAT, oh ABC Bimboes of Stoo-pid! ZZZ-ZZZ-ZZZ!!! Take THAT LAUGH-TRACK WHEN NOTHING'S even Remotely FUNNY!! Etc.

Why, pray tell, do you think Americans take vacations? Because they HATE their living rooms! The sewage is up to your neck... the sewage is up to your nostrils... tilt yo haid! Dog-paddle in molassasly-viscous Hollywoods somewhat-diarrhetic greasy poodle-pucky...

"I'm-a goin' under, honey remember I lo-... GLUB GLUB GLUB ptt."

SO-OO - Camping? Escape? Har Har Har, the Master Race has now PUT THE TELEVISION IN YOUR POCKET! A relaxing night out among the wilderness, stars everywhere, the kids squashed a bonus-level frog population trying to teach them "Sit!" "Roll-over!" etc., romance in the air (remain cognizant of the frog cemetery location tho); you, the Great Hunter, filleting and grilling up the hotdogs you tracked and caught BY HAND on the way out, and now, true family TOGETHERNESS - watching four different donkeybutt-drizzle sit-com re-runs on your four-different Samsung pocket thumbscrews. TV in your POCKET. Jesus Christ.

"But I can QUIT anytime I WANT to! I just.. don't... WANT to, right now."
(is that scratching sound the Mother Mary erasing you and the kids from the 144,000? Are there more channel stations in Heaven, or in HELL...)

YAY! HOBBIES! A soothing, relaxing, above-all TIME-CONSUMING escape from the filth-spewing brain-eating one-eyed (yet MASSIVELY multi-split-P) monster that owns your home. And yet - us ol' Cro-Magnums appear to have specifically-coded DNA streaks that allow us to not only USE tools, but IMPROVE tools to an astonishingly-efficient degree. What could've taken HOURS can now be done with a machine in short SECONDS! Throw enough money at it, why you can practically just chuck a whole TREE in the mouth hole and out pops a Strat from the...qrk..... output chute!
"maybe mount the thing to a sled and send it through a planer."
Umm, DO practice jumping OFF the sled before it hits the planer a few times? You don't need to go all Darwinian, like the guy KICKING logs into the woodchipper. Zounds:

http://www.insideedition.com/headlines/13437-teen-killed-when-he-was-pulled-into-wood-chipper-on-first-day-of-work

How much you wanna bet THAT guy had just stopped watching television:eek:

Normally my meter ticks way over to the "COMEDY" side (with the inevitable, tiny, little frisson of anomie) when I see people with no real hope of profit buying more, and more, and... mo STUFF to make everything in their "hobby" faster, quicker, better, bang it out, "whoa that sanding used to take me HOURS, now..." But, as a long-time scholar of EVIL, sozo-called "common" sense etc., I have to... the question MUST be asked: 
Does your television want you BACK?
Are your hobbies anti-NEW WORLD ORDER?
Couldn't this so-called "efficiency" possibly be beamed straight from the Mothership to your brainstem lizard nub, snork that pup right back to obedience! ZZZ ZZZ ZZZ!

KIM KARDASHIAN'S ASS wants YOUR ass back, dude. Dissidence: part of a growing trend? If it wasn't for dissidence, we might not have no dense at all! But how long, what's the window, afore they re-program KIM KARDASHIAN'S ASS from "STUN" to "KILL?"

Point being, I'm pretty sure you can get away with wood-chiseling by hand, by candlelight, in the wee hours. Fire up the planer, the drones can pinpoint you in SECONDS!
Moral of the story: don't think you can improve a guitar by attacking it with power tools.
Though, as Granpawpaw used to say:
The ennui of the anomaly is the anomie of the anemone.
a course he was pretty-much hammered by noon everyday

I'm sure those TV Dinners are made out of slime from the Video...

[youtube]C-6mI708yWc[/youtube]

And welcome back Stubhead...

It could be so much worse though ...

qGFYw6d.png

http://guitarz.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/when-relics-go-bad-mexican-tele-abused.html

http://guitarz.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/when-relics-go-bad-epiphone-dot-studio.html

http://guitarz.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/mexican-made-fender-telecaster-with.html

... pass the sandpaper please

Slightly offtopic. Does this forum have an ignore function or do I have to write a Greasemonkey script for Firefox?

You can't ignore Stubhead!

... Actually back in the day there was a thing to ignore particular forum members.  Not sure if it's still active.

Seriously, if you're thinking of ignoring Stubhead, hold off.  His style is grandiloquently offbeat, but there are chunks of wisdom interlarded among the Dada-esque meanderings.  Once you get the hang of decoding his messages, it's really quite enjoyable. 

If you're thinking of ignoring someone else, me for example, knock yourself out.  I'm not that interesting.

If Stubby finds your subject or otherwise random post interesting enough to make an appearance, I would consider that an honor.

Forum eyecon, he is...  :rock-on:

Back