Fender stops offering Ashs bodies, will the same happen to Warmoth at some point

As someone who used to swing Willow Cricket bats I can attest they are as described by Ace.

When I was younger I used Linseed Oil to oil my bat each season. Nowadays they tend to have some sort of covering on them...

But I think there must be lots of sustainable woods that would make great guitars.

I just took down a willow tree. The top of which had a widow maker ready to fall on top of anyone cutting it.  I threw a rope over it about 12 ft up and just jiggled the tree until it snapped like the Crystalline Entity on Star Trek.

Just as an historical point, in 1943 Leo Fender and Doc Kauffman, working in the back of Leo's Radio Repair Shop, made what they thought of as a "test bed" for pickups. It was an oak plank with a guitar neck and bridge and pickup on it. Word got out about it. Four years later there were still local musicians coming to the shop to rent that guitar for gigs and recording sessions because they loved the sound of it and it didn't feed back when the volume was turned up.

swarfrat said:
I just took down a willow tree. The top of which had a widow maker ready to fall on top of anyone cutting it.  I threw a rope over it about 12 ft up and just jiggled the tree until it snapped like the Crystalline Entity on Star Trek.

Probably a different type of willow tree to what Ace Flibble and I are talking about.

Apparently black and white Willow are different from Weeping Willows.

https://www.southernliving.com/garden/grumpy-gardener/the-only-good-place-for-a-weeping-willow

This is news to me, I’ve been trying to sell or trade a nicely-grained ash Warmoth Start body with no real interest at all. I always kind of liked it but have been trying to clean off the project shelves lately, seems like a good reason to hang on to it or rebuild the thing.

Back