Fender LSR roller nuts?

stubhead

Master Member
Has anyone ever used one of these, either home-install or factory standard? I do know about the wishful claim on Fender's part that it works with .009" to .056" strings, and in actuality, it's really .010" to .050" or so.  I'm not at all worried about the mechanics of installation, only tone and - do the strings pop off it? There's a good vid up, part 1 is all tools and part 3 in just more yak, but in part 2 he explains how-to, and it's just about how I would anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A2LTMfSAjk&feature=relmfu

I've used them several times to good effect, and really like them. I've never had any problem with strings popping out, and I don't use string trees. The only downside is the cost, but really, it's a one-time thing since the nut doesn't wear so I don't know why I complain.

Like any "trick" nut, the sound is only affected when you're playing open strings or chords, and then it's so minimal that if you're not listening for it, you won't hear it. But, there is a very slight brightening as a result of the string being against a metal termination vs. some sort of plastic/bone. Of course, as soon as you fret a string anywhere along the neck, you're terminating on metal anyway so no tonal surprises. In effect, the LSR ends up acting like a "0 fret".

Speaking of a 0 fret, at the very beginning of that video he takes Fender to task for their longitudinal placement dimension and offers up a corrected number. Problem is, he's measuring to the wrong point, and Fender is actually correct. The original nut is cut in such a way that the leading (body side) edge of the nut is where the speaking length of the string begins, but if you look at an LSR nut, the bearings the string rests on are back a little bit from that edge, so the speaking length of the string does not start at the leading edge of the nut. So, if you follow his instructions, you're going to have too much distance between the nut and the first fret, which is going to make a mess out of your cowboy chords. Not a huge amount, but it would be measurable and audible if you've got a critical ear.

His criticism of Fender's mounting depth dimension is understandable, and I'm not sure why Fender gives a number at all as that depth is going to vary from one instrument to another depending on how aggressively the fretboard was surfaced prior to fret installation and what size frets are installed. That's why they give you shims.

i had an lsr nut on the first warmoth strat i built...now, i am not very "handy"...and i will be the first to admit it...here's my experience:

the cut that warmoth makes into the fretboard is super tight...i had to file it (alot) before i could get the nut to wiggle in...and even then,
i tapped it a little too hard and all the little ball bearings went flying...great...

hell, once i got it installed it was great...i just wanted to share my experience with you so you don't make the same mistake.  i never did
get the nut to look like it originally did...i tried my best to "re-bend" the little steel "keepers" for the ball bearings, but i still had to be extra
carefull on string changes.  Did anyone else have this experience?

anyways, i like the lsr's...great idea...less friction...stays in tune better...good luck :headbang:

You have to ask Warmoth to cut specifically for an LSR nut, or it won't fit. With the necks I've gotten from them that were cut that way I've had no problem at all installing the nut. Drops right in. You still have to drill the pilot holes for the screws to hold it in place because you can't glue it, and you have to install the nut yourself, but that's it. Nice thing about letting them do the cutting is they use either a router/jig setup or an CNC to cut the slot - not sure which - but you get a perfect slot in the correct place. Of course, it costs $40 to get it, but considering how much irreversible damage you could do on your own, that's probably a bargain. You don't want to smack up a $300-$900 neck for the sake of a trick nut.

Prior to using Warmoth necks, I used to cut that slot myself with a router/jig setup I built, but I had a full-tilt boogie woodshop at my disposal. I don't know if I'd try it with just saws and files. You really want the thing to sit tight, and filing by hand is almost guaranteed to leave you with a less than flat base for the thing to sit on.

The neck I just got is cut for LSR. They did drill the pilot holes. It is such a perfect fit that the nut actually clicked into the slot. It fit so tight that I had to tap it out from the side.

That's the beauty of automation: it's so accurate and repeatable. Trying to do that sort of thing by hand is almost foolish.

Stubhead, you are my go to guy for all things Jeff Beck.  Seeing as he uses a variation of one, chicken vs. egg, I can't believe you're asking and not telling.

Cagey said:
You have to ask Warmoth to cut specifically for an LSR nut, or it won't fit. With the necks I've gotten from them that were cut that way I've had no problem at all installing the nut. Drops right in.

i am reading all good experiences about the lsr cut.  i ordered a maple neck, with a rosewood board with the lsr prep.  this was about three years ago.  it was NOT a good fit.
i am glad i was the only one with this issue.  during installation, i actually lost one of those ball bearings and had to order another nut...thats a $45 dollar mistake up here in canada...lol...live and learn...

another thing...my lsr prep came with pilot holes...again, it is a great product...i was going for a strat plus type project...that guitar is sold now...i never bonded with the lace sensors in there...and decided i "needed" a  humbucker...the journey continues...lol

Sorry to hear about your troubles. That's a $45 mistake here, too <grin>

I know what you mean about those Lace Sensors. I've never been able to get next to them, either. But, they have a number of varieties of them now, so maybe something else would satisfy.

I have used LSR roller nuts in my strats for over 15 years and love them.  Never had a string nor a bearing pop out.  Make sure you specify an LSR roller nut cut when ordering your neck from Warmoth and it should fit nice and tight.

Back