Question to all the LSR Roller nut players

GT1-Reach

So,

i built a Partscaster some months ago. The Strat initially had a roasted maple neck with a Graphtech nut. I later decided that i want a similar Neck but with a LSR Roller nut.

I got the neck now (only thing that is also different is fret size, going from 6115 to 6100) and i must say while tuning stability is very, very good, playability went down the drain.

The guitar was the best and easiest to play Strat i ever had with the first neck. Now its such a pain.
Bendings just hurt so awfully much and are hard compared to the first neck. The strings / playibility just feels so stiff now.

Of course, there are other possibilities, i think.

I thought i would like the 6100 Frets, but i think the pyramid shaped 6115 were much, much better for my playing style.
Secondly the frets arent leveled or crowned yet, the action towards the nut is a little high, but it doesnt bother me too much, cause i like my action high to begin with.
I ask myself if a good luthier could "reshape" the frets to 6115 territory, enough fret material is given when you think about how big 6100's are...

My main question to you boys and girls is, what are your experiences with LSR Roller nuts playability wise? Could it be that the roller nut alters the playability to the worse for my playing style? or am i at the wrong track?

i would be sad to give up this neck, because it rings and sounds much better than the first one. The neck is IMHO the most important part of an electric guitar besides the pickups. this neck got a lot of sustain and just sounds strong and goooood! :)

Have you upgraded one of your guitars or do you have several guitars to compare between a standard nut and a roller nut? How do your bendings feel?

Dennis from germany

I do not think it is the nut.

It is more likely it is your playing style and preferences. It also sounds like the frets could at least benefit from a polish and the guitar from a set up. But often (not always) folks who use smaller frets when they start to play something with larger frets, press the strings too hard and so forth.

Any guitar with bigger frets and more so those with a scalloped board you need to adjust your technique to suit.

I would suggest playing it for a while and work on a lighter touch.

The strings don't know if they're going through bone, plastic, locking, or roller. That should have zero effect as far as playability goes. Ok, it MIGHT, very doubtful, at the first fret, but, after that, nah, shouldn't have anything to do with it.
MULLY

I have several LSRs and have dealt with many more. The only effect the LSR should have on playability is if it's sitting too tall, which would be true of any nut. Fortunately, changing its height is as easy as adding/removing shims, rather than recutting slots. But, your frets, relief, and bridge saddles all have to allow for it, so a good setup with level/crown/dress/polish, etc. is in order. The difference in height between 6115 and 6100 wire isn't much, so I doubt that's causing discomfort. Plus, due to that fret height, your playing style is likely already accustomed to the kind of touch tall frets require.

Do the setup. You'll be glad you did.

I'm not much for setups - I'm not really tooled up to do them properly, so I eyeball and ballpark things until they're playable.  I recently assembled a guitar with an LSR nut for the first time, and round it pretty simple.  The neck had vintage-style frets, so I had to shim it a bit (with homemade shims made of business cards), but the playability/action was fine.  The nut really shouldn't affect how much pressure it takes to bend a string.  I agree with previous posts - it's probably not the nut...I suppose it is possible to install an LSR nut backwards, though, and I can see how that wouldn't go over so well... 

Back