Favorite raw woods neck combos for bass and weights?

aussietc

Feel free to list your fav raw neck combos for bass and some pics too!
(I'm putting together a short scale single cut bass. At the moment thinking of a Black Korina body or Black Korina on Ash or Flame Maple on Ash)

Padouk/Pau Ferro.

3314068959_512a208964_z.jpg

But perhaps not with your body wood choices. :sad:

Now that's a beautiful fretboard!  :icon_thumright:

Any pics of a goncaolo alves neck and fingerboard or a ziricote fretboard?

mgaut051 said:
line6man said:
Padouk/Pau Ferro.

3314068959_512a208964_z.jpg

But perhaps not with your body wood choices. :sad:

+1

4448041977_50b54cd0db.jpg

Who cares about body wood choices? Sexy is sexy.

Dammit! I think you've got a nicer board than mine.
3314062997_fa684a21e8_b.jpg

aussietc said:
Now that's a beautiful fretboard!  :icon_thumright:

Any pics of a goncaolo alves neck and fingerboard or a ziricote fretboard?

Goncalo fingerboard.

Raw:
2633968677_9d986f3b98_z.jpg

Epoxied:
3264929364_1cf9688b3c_b.jpg

Which is lighter in weight? padouk or bloodwood or bulbinga or wenge or purpleheart?

I'm choosing a single cut short scale body in swamp ash. (a open pore finish in black and white delano pickups). Due to the smaller and potentially lighter body I want a neck that is less prone to dive.

aussietc said:
Which is lighter in weight? padouk or bloodwood or bulbinga or wenge or purpleheart?

I'm choosing a single cut short scale body in swamp ash. (a open pore finish in black and white delano pickups). Due to the smaller and potentially lighter body I want a neck that is less prone to dive.

Exotic woods tend to be heavier in weight.  Any of these is likely to result in neck dive on a short scale single cut.  How about canary/pau ferro?

Wyliee said:
aussietc said:

Exotic woods tend to be heavier in weight.  Any of these is likely to result in neck dive on a short scale single cut.  How about canary/pau ferro?

Wouldn't a short scale have less neckdive because the neck is shorter? (Wait, how much shorter are the short scale necks compared with full scale necks?)
The only issue is with the body being a singlecut, because of the strapbutton location.

I think you would be fine with most exotics, so long as you have lightweight tuners.
My Maple neck is significantly heavier than my Padouk neck because it has full size tuners.

The OP indicated short scale singlecut.  The upper bout is shorter, which changes the overall balance.  This is a significant factor here.

While the short scale necks do not have the steel rods (and are predrilled for BML Lites), an exotic neck will still tend to be heavier than maple/maple.

Scale length was not indicated.  A 30" would be less likely to dive than a 32".  Something else to consider.

Good luck!

I will be using Hipshot ultralite tuners, although one will be a D-tuner (extra weight there).
I'm leaning towards a 32", only because i've never played a 30" (don't know the sound difference between the two? :icon_scratch:)
Out of the raw exotic woods, which is the lightest?
The warmoth site doesn't list canary in the neck builder, so they might be out?

aussietc said:
I will be using Hipshot ultralite tuners, although one will be a D-tuner (extra weight there)

IME, the detuner does not add a significant amount of weight to the headstock.
There is definitely a difference, but if your neck balances ok with Ultralites, the Detuner is not going to push it over the edge. At least mine didn't.

Make sure you use a Hipshot string retainer, btw. They are significantly lighter than those vintage style buttons.
My three string retainer weighs about as much as a Nickel.

Back