Favorite Guitar Instrumental Albums

To be charitable, I'd say his vocal skills leave something to be desired. To this day, comedians are usually able to get a laugh out of parodying his style. Which, I suppose says something about how well-known he is. Make fun of his voice, and you don't have to explain the joke.

"Like a hoover going backwards."

And I still giggle at the line "want some mandies Bob?" in Frank Zappa's Flakes.

Current fave guitar instrumental album for me is Resolution by Andy Timmons.
The dude has the touch.

Also - anything by Johnny A just kills me.

Guthrie Govan's Erotic Cakes

I'm a big fan of Andy Timmons.  After awhile, I started watching videos of him live, either performing, interviews, and workshops; yah, retroactively, I can say that his studio albums could have been done better.  The guitar tone seems off.

I Built the Sky is pretty cool but can be a bit repetitive.

Tribal Tech's "Illicit" album was pretty prominent in my listening habits for a few years I look back on pretty fondly.

When I first got "Surfing with the Alien" I popped it into the cassette deck of my car and just laughed, it was so amazingly good and impossible.  That one remains a fave.

Larry Coryell did an solo acoustic album of Rimsky Korsakov's "Scheherezade" and Ravel's "Bolero" that I listened to endlessly in the mid-1980s.

Jeff Beck's "Guitar Shop" never gets boring for me.

Bagman67 said:
When I first got "Surfing with the Alien" I popped it into the cassette deck of my car and just laughed, it was so amazingly good and impossible.

I had the same experience, but with a CD. If I could only own one CD, it would be that or "Flying in a Blue Dream".

Had a strange realization the other day - Joe's gonna be 61 in a few months. How can that be? But then, I'm gonna be 58 the following day.  Seems like just last summer I was turning 30. Now I'm buying Christmas presents for my granddaughter. Hardly seems possible.

Cagey said:
Bagman67 said:
When I first got "Surfing with the Alien" I popped it into the cassette deck of my car and just laughed, it was so amazingly good and impossible.

I had the same experience, but with a CD. If I could only own one CD, it would be that or "Flying in a Blue Dream".

+1 to both of those. I'll throw in Crystal Planet and Shockwave Supernova. Crystal Planet is definitely one of my favorites since he really lets his Jimi influence show through on that one.

Back