fav. strat player

Yngwie's speed isn't what I enjoy about him, I think it's the tone and vibrato. But I guess I'm adding EVH to the top of my list.  :laughing7:

sundin4prez said:
jeeeez i cant believe myself....my fav. song of all time"sultan of swing" ...........MARK KNOPHLER

Tweed said:
I second that so hard!

I won't say he's my favorite player, but I will say that he is a tone god... I might go as far as saying, he is the god of tone.

BTW, Mark's album Sailing to Philadelphia is a great album, for those who haven't heard it.  It's drenched in great guitar tones.  Don't look for spectacular playing or blazing solos in it though.

I might get more enjoyment out of a spectacular tone than a wicked shred fest. His tone on Sultans bowls me over every time, especially when you're hearing nothing but his solo!

Tweed said:
I might get more enjoyment out of a spectacular tone than a wicked shred fest. His tone on Sultans bowls me over every time, especially when you're hearing nothing but his solo!

Have you listened to Sailing to Philadelphia?  He catches a little bit of fire in "What It Is", and his Strat sound is amazing.  I also love his Tele tone in "Prairie Wedding".

Okay, I went back and listened to some Straits and a few of his solo stuff, yes Sailing to Philadelphia; he is now definitely my fav strat player! Easily

Vic

From the Procol Harum albums that i have it sounds like Trower's roll was small....very piano and B3 dominated tracks. Not that that bother's me, im the keyboardist in my band.

Brian

bpmorton777 said:
Vic

From the Procol Harum albums that i have it sounds like Trower's roll was small....
very piano and B3 dominated tracks. Not that that bother's me, im the keyboardist in my band.

Brian

Brian, check out WHISKEY TRAIN on HOME and JUICY JOHN PINK on SALTY DOG
for some great TROWER lead!

A pretty righteous Strat player passed away yesterday.

http://www.outlawsmusic.com/

I stole more than a few licks from him back in my youth, I always liked that band.

For me there's just not an answer.  There's many different types of music with many great styles of pickers.  Since I can find music in all forms that I like I can not answer this question. Maybe the fav. hasn't been born yet or is still playing the first plastic guitar received for Christmas.  :rock-on:

I know that Steve Howe is considered a Gibson guy, if not an ES175 guy, but I really like his Stratocaster work, (much of Going for the One, Drama and ABW&H)

I can see why people find Yngwie repetitive and a one-trick pony, but I too like his tone!

there is also a Robert Plant Solo Record with great Strat Tones on it... I have to look it up to see what his name is..
Also like Gilmour's tone a lot!

Phrygian said:
sundin4prez said:
jeeeez i cant believe myself....my fav. song of all time"sultan of swing" ...........MARK KNOPHLER

Tweed said:
I second that so hard!

I won't say he's my favorite player, but I will say that he is a tone god... I might go as far as saying, he is the god of tone.

Agreed, Sultans of swing has been a fav of mine since it was played on the radio in 76?  It's one of the single best songs ever

Back