Faultline - A More Traditional Build

Thanks, Celtikaos. I'm looking forward to geting this one done. I'm just finishing up a new work bench and will soon make the router sled to flatten/thin the body wood.

I tried out the router sled and got the blank trued up and to the proper thickness, plus a skosh for block sanding it smooth.

GJWseoA.png

Look'n good there, Rob! Especially like the shop apron, same motif as my local Mexican restaurant! I see the pencil marks to make sure you hit it all and let you know when it was flat. How long did it take to true up that body with the sled?

Thanks, Steve. For some reason it only took one pass on the first side but three more on the other. I must have had the router set a little deeper for the first side. Clamp it in, clamp it flat to the bottom with long reach vice grips, hot glue for two inches along the edges in three places to hold it from lifting up (vice grips off again), rout it, pry it loose and clean the glue off. Total time for both sides, maybe an hour or so. With a wider router bit I could have done it faster but I only had a 1/2" diameter one that would reach down far enough to do the job.

Another half an hour to clean up afterwards.

The apron works good. I make a mean taco filling, too.

For some reason, my wife won't allow that apron back in the kitchen.  :icon_biggrin:

I have some clamps that aren't reversible like those. The ones with a machine screw holding the end on can be reversed. I also angled them slightly so they apply downward pressure on the wood, too.

I had a few minutes with other projects stalled so I transferred the pickguard shape to the routing template and cut out the main control cavity. I should be able to stuff a lot of wiring in that one. :icon_biggrin:

vPEFmwT.jpg

I also took a better photo of the poplar it will get made from.

VCIJUTq.jpg

Thanks, Frank. It's the first piece I've seen without any green running through it.

So the other night I realized I had cut the control cavity in the template wrong. With some JB Weld and MDF scraps, I adjusted that to be correct. Now I can make a working pattern from that.

4XO1T1K.jpg

Back