Evolution of the English language in my lifetime

Compared to Cherokee, English is a difficult language, largely because some contexts do not translate into Cherokee well, ie; "ownership", particularly with land.  We have no way to translate from English "Land Ownership" into Cherokee as we do not even fathom such a context.  We are stewards of the land, so it speaks confusion to us as a people.

The declination of the verb to warmoth:
I warmoth
You warmoth
It she He warmoths
We warmoth
You warmoth
They warmoth
Say that 10 times fast it's like that turbotax commercial where they say free free etc

Aldo fascinated by the decline of penmanship, which has about found rock bottom alongside the diction of the day. 

After browsing through old records on ancestry.com, that really struck me. There was a certain pride behind each stroke. Most of it looks like art to me.

Ah, the decline of civilization. Sad, really. 

It's not called a pen anymore, Frank, nowadays it's a stylus. For some reason, nobody ever uses the term 'stylusmanship'. And in return for costing upward of a thousand bucks, the apparently indispensable piece of electronics that goes with it, will accurately decipher your most awkward scribbles. If you even bother to scribble - you can just talk to it and it will convert that into something legible that will probably convey most of your meaning.

ByteFrenzy said:
It's not called a pen anymore, Frank, nowadays it's a stylus. For some reason, nobody ever uses the term 'stylusmanship'. And in return for costing upward of a thousand bucks, the apparently indispensable piece of electronics that goes with it, will accurately decipher your most awkward scribbles. If you even bother to scribble - you can just talk to it and it will convert that into something legible that will probably convey most of your meaning.

Ain’t that the truth. I’ll tell you what ruined my already poor penmanship: texting.

Impatience wrecked my penmanship. Writing clear/legible/pretty is time consuming. If you write a lot, something's gotta suffer. One of the few things where practice seems to take you in the wrong direction if over-emphasized

I'm not sure it's even taught any more. It was a formal/graded class when I was a kid 100 years ago.

My grandfather had really splendid handwriting. But in fact, his natural handwriting was as horrible as mine, only he had taken calligraphy classes and had trained to calligraph at least as fast as you and me are able to scribble, and it remained perfectly regular even at speed. Working for the Dutch mail, he obviously had something to motivate him but sometimes I regret not having done the same.

Oh come on now....let's not be fatalistic. "Change" does not equal "decline".  :glasses9:

Sure, we may have lost the art of driving a stick....but cars are safer and more fuel-efficient than ever!

I'm not with you on that one, Aaron. I know how a gearbox (both stick and automatic) and a differential work, I can explain the difference between two- and four stroke, I know what a bootstrap is in computers, I know how address- and data lines work on a CPU and how you can multiplex them, and given a bit of time I can build a working computer if I have a Z80 CPU and enough assorted junk. Give me a random gizmo and I can figure out how it works, if not in detail then at least in general. I know a bit about steel alloys, heat treatment, and what goes into making Damascus. Kids nowadays know how to swipe on a screen when they are barely weaned but for the rest they're content to google and read the one-liner that comes up. So much for knowing your world and your place in it. Fatalistic? Nah, something will come after us and I'm curious whether it's the roaches or the tardigrades. Depends on how completely we screw up the place before going bye-bye.

I am guessing Bytefrenzy would not hire this person either...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo0KjdDJr1c[/youtube]

The Aaron said:
Oh come on now....let's not be fatalistic. "Change" does not equal "decline".  :glasses9:

Sure, we may have lost the art of driving a stick....but cars are safer and more fuel-efficient than ever!

...annnnd I'll tell you what's ruined my love of manual transmissions: LA Traffic - AND wifey, who can't be bothered to drive it!  She's got a 30lb brain is is much more dexterous than I am.  The last week I spent with my S2000 before trading it in, I hauled the wife over to an empty parking lot, took the top down, and let her have at it.  She kicked ass!  When I said, "Alright, now drive us home.", she about threw a fit.  I get it.

If your reasons for choosing to drive the ol' twig shifter are performance/fuel economy, those days are over.  Most people drive them because they are usually less expensive or they are enthusiasts. I fall into the later category.  I'm a 40 year old man with a 1 year old and one on the way.  I will have another fun 2 seater at some point, but I'm only going to end up fulfilling a very well known stereotype.  In my case that will be my 3/4 life crisis. 

Back up a minute, Frank -

You have another little one on the way?

Congratulations, papa!

fdesalvo said:
.....I'm a 40 year old man with a 1 year old and one on the way.....
Congrats Brother do you know it it's a Strat or a Tele?  :laughing7:

Cagey said:
That millennial job interview is frightening in its accuracy.
You ain't just whistling Kevin! I had a situation at work where the the tool inventory application for the facility, (and for most departmental facilities), was based on Lotus Approach. Unfortunately, the State changed everything to MS Office, and Access just didn't know what to do with an Approach application.

So, I call our "IT" guys for an answer. They assigned the problem to a young lady, one of their rising stars,  who supposedly could provide help. OMFG! She had absolutely no idea what to do. Her only answer was to convert everything to an Excel file, use a pivot table, and cut and paste to recreate the 20 or so reports that were previously only a mouse click away! I explained to her that there were exacting requirements for some reports, that a spread sheet could not possibly duplicate the other functionality we needed, and sent her a copy of the Approach application, copies if the reports, and the State directive covering the use of tools in a correctional facility. Her response was: "Huh?"

In the end, I had to learn Access, (not all that hard since I was already a PAL programmer from my civilian days), and rewrite the entire application myself. Six months later, this girl calls and says she thinks she has a solution: "You can use a pivot table!" You can't make this $h!t up.....

Back