Electro-banjitaster-especiale

Sufjan Stevens favors the banjo pretty heavily, and he's an indie-rock darling, so, y'know, banjo!

I really like the look of the new bridge design, and look forward to hearing it with the Lollar in the mix.  :)

Eric:

I see you are in St. Louis.  I'm in the SW corner of MO - just a little south of Joplin.

I ran across your postings as I was doing some searching for Banjitar build projects.  I currently play a GoldTone GT-750.
I have been looking at some of the Nechville 6 stings - but the cost is just way to high for me right now - so I thought I'd try
to do my own build.  Your project is a work of art.

I saw the list of parts you purchased from GT for your build.  My question is - when it comes to installing the tone ring,
head, tension hoop, etc. - did you engineer your own mounting system/process?  Or, were you able to get install direction
from GT?

I understand the premise behind the process - but I don't have a full understanding of mounting the head and tensioning
hardware.

Can you provide any further info on that?  I'm probably going to be a little more "bland" than you on my first build.  I'd like to just
convert an existing electric gtr I already have and see how that turns out.  Thanks, in advance, for any info.

-Jon

Hey, Fiddleczar -

Welcome to the board.  Your post on this thread may not easily get Eric's attention, but if you send him a private message it's likely to pop up in his non-Warmoth email to alert him.  Eric is not a frequent poster here so it could take a while for you to see an update.

Bagman

Hey now, I post as often as I can. I am just new.

Jon,

Welcome to the forum. I am glad and flattered to be of help.

The tone ring was purchased as parts from a gold tone banjitar (es-6). The kind people at Gold Tone gladly sold me all of the parts. It screws into the body with wood screws. I think you can see the holes for it in the picture below. I really just bought the parts and screwed them to the body. The head section of the build was rather easy.  If you would like, i can take precise measurements and pass them on.  Luckily for me, I own a GT es-6 that I could use to take measurements from. It is NOT a quality instrument. Satisfactory at best, but it does work as a great template.  Any information you need, I will try to help with.  Mine was worth all of the effort.  It really sounds unique and plays like a dream.

If there is ever anything I can help with please feel free to email me at: ericbanjitar@gmail.com

Attachments

• Pictures 164.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
Eric I hope you enter your banjitar again into the GOTM. I want to vote again for it!

Thanks for all of the kind words, PT. I will enter it again.

The other day I was playing it acoustically outside of an open-mic witha few buddies when a profesional luthier ($15,000 worth a training in a year and a half, then five years of building from scratch) came up to me and asked to check it out. After looking it over, he asked me where I was trained and by whom.  I told him I have been a woods guy for  most of my life (I am a junior high technology ed teacher) but the luthiery skills were taught to me for free by the members of the Warmoth forum.  He had never heard of us! I immediatly sent him a link to his smart phone, the rest of the night he was glued to his screen. Another warmoth junkie is born. I AM THE PUSHERMAN.

At long last here is a short audience recording taken from our friday night jam session. There is a lot of background chatter but I hope you can hear the banjitar over all of the other noise.

Attachments

• wfl littler.mp3
    1.7 MB
Back