Electro-banjitaster-especiale

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, it still sounds like a banjo. Score one for the wood argument.  Now that I have played this beast a while, I can say that the piezio gives the most authentic banjo sound (twapp). The humbucker coil-tapped to a single coil sounds more bassy and full (thwap).  The single coil neck pick up is more brassy (swapp).  I usually use no effects on the electric side other than a sonic maximizer and an EQ to boost bass and make the entire thing sound more full. The piezio can be bit tinny without the baggs pocket rocket and sonic maximizer.  It plays great as a rhythm or lead instrument.  I usually finger-pick it and rarely play with a pick. The strong attack and minimal sustain allow each note to ring and then quickly fade so that the notes do not get blurred as I play each note for a rather brief period of time. It is exactly what I wanted and could not have been purchased.

All famous electric guitar players have their own timbre (sound, tone). Jerry Garcia, Jeff Beck, Hendrix, Zappa, Page, and all the rest of the greats are distictive. You could pick them out of a crowd. I am not a great guitar player, by any measure, and do not belong in the same paragraph of text as these musicians.  However, I do have my own very distinctive voice. Few others can say that.

Eric, I have very eclectic musical tastes (from country+blues to many world musics) and really like the experience of listening to music and hearing a sound, tone or timbre that I haven't heard before -  and asking 'what is that instrument? I like this'. Your build made me ask that great question - good work, very innovative.  BTW, I like that chord progression near minute 2:09 of one of your videos. Picard

I like it better with the clear head - looks like a submarine porthole, like a 20,000 leagues under the sea style guitar

Nice build. A lot of work to build and more hours to think how to do it. A very unique... banjo-guitar? electro-ganjo?.... Whatever, a good solution, and really well executed.  :hello2:

I call it the Electro-banjitaster-especiale. But a rose by any other name doth smell so sweet. Thanks again for all of the kind words.

Hey everybody! 

Three things:  First, thank you for all of the votes in the July GOM contest.  Secondly, I have decided to change the neck pick up due to a "microphonic" HUMMM. The current pickup is a stewmac golden-age vintage. It has failed.  It will be replaced with a Loller Vintage hand wound tele neck pickup. An upgrade for sure. I will add video/audio when the swap-out is complete. Last, I am building a set of 6 string compensated banjo bridges. Pictures will follow.

Looks good. I'd make the whole thing out of one wood or the other, though. Laminations are tone-killers. But, if you must have them, be sure to clamp the snot out of it and give it plenty of time to cure.

Odd. I think that all banjo bridges are laminated of maple and a harder tonewood like rosewood. Do you think it would be better in maple or rosewood?  Many luthiery "traditions" have little to do with function...they are just tradition.

Why are barns painted red? Because so many farmers paint the barns red, the red paint is mass-produced and is therefore cheaper.  Barns are red because barns are red.

Why are banjo bridges laminated?

Attachments

• !B6s2gbg!mk~$(KGrHqYOKkIEyOGqi!CoBMyTTU0z3w~~-1_1.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 14
I could be wrong about the design intent. It's possible banjo bridges need to be tone-killers. I mean, really, banjos, like bagpipes, are intrinsically annoying so they're an acquired taste. Anything that would soften them up would probably be a Good Thing. On top of that, the bridge is in direct contact with a high-tension low-inertia drum head that doesn't need much excitement to vibrate in sympathy. The bridge construction may not make any difference at all, or so little that it isn't worth talking about. So, take what I say with a large grain of salt. I come from the guitar world. Things are different here.

I mean, really, banjos, like bagpipes, are intrinsically annoying so they're an acquired taste. Anything that would soften them up would probably be a Good Thing.

With respect, thanks, really! No need to get all insulting, man. Some people like licorice. Its ok if you dont like licorice, but please understand that bagpipes and banjos are part of some peoples culture and others just like the timbre. You, Cagey, are an opinionated and influential member on this forum and many (myself included) have benefited from your expertise and honesty. However, kindness and understanding of personal diferences is also part of polite corespondence.  I am a guitar player. My current main instrument is a guitar with a banjo head. It plays like a guitar and I can make it sound like a guitar. I can also pluck it like a banjo. I have 12 other "standard" timbre guitars.

When I started playing guitar, I thought of it as a huge book of lessons.  There were lessons on tone (or timbre), chording options, scales, keys and notes. There have been lessons in luthiery. There are also lessons to be learned about styles of play.  I may never get to the Andre Segovia or Kirk Hammett chapters. I have little intrest in learning these styles. I have great respect for these players, their timbre and technique. I would imagine that the inescapable culture they matured in helped to forge their timbre.

Finally, when I was young, there were many who told me which instruments (and foods) were cool.  I now know that ALL instruments are cool especially in the hands of a competent player and I learned that its OK if people like licorice...I dont have to eat it, or be annoyed by those who do. I come from the guitar world too and things are not as diferent as they may seem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0rp-r8yShs&feature=related

There are clips on page two of this thread.  I would love to do some more, but I am upgrading from a failed stewmac vintage tele pickup to a Lollar vintage tele neck pu. When the new one arives, its on order, I will install it and do a few more sound or video clips.

Thanks!

Eric Banjitar said:
With respect, thanks, really! No need to get all insulting, man.

I'm sorry - I didn't mean to be insulting at all. That was not my intent. It was just a general observation I've made over the years. Few people play banjos or bagpipes because not many enjoy the sound of them. I didn't say I didn't like them, although I can't see how that could possibly matter to anyone. I just happen to think the applications for them are substantially limited relative to some instruments.

The licorice is a fine example of the same thing, and you could probably add asparagus, beets, broccoli and a dozen other foods to that. Nothing wrong with any of it, but in general, those foods aren't widely appreciated.

But, I shall endeavor to be more diplomatic in the future in an effort to avoid abrading those with potentially more fragile emotions <grin>

It' all depends on the player. A banjo in the hands of Noam Pikely sounds awesome, but no so much in Steve Martin's hands.

A strat sounds amazing played by SRV, in my hands....not so much.

Bagpipes.....well, I'll pass on that one.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbrhbmx2OxQ&feature=related[/youtube]

Nah this one's deserved cagey, not just fragile emotions, and Eric's response was well thought ought and reasoned. Go witness the country bashing thread for further references.  Steaming piles of BS can still sound whiney? Come on.  It happens. A lot.  I'm not a huge banjo fan either, but you can barely mention it  without people cracking deliverance jokes.

Yesterday I built a 6string compensated banjo bridge. The intonation is now perfect. Thanks for all of the help and suggestions everybody! Once I get the new Lollar vintage neck pickup I think that the instrument will be finished...finally.

Attachments

• IMAG1161.jpg
    952.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMAG1164.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMAG1165.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMAG1167.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
The rest of the photos

Attachments

• IMAG1169.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMAG1170.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMAG1171.jpg
    801.6 KB · Views: 19
is that compensated bridge design any different from what you'd find on a typical archtop electric guitar?

also, FWIW I would definitely disagree that banjo is not a widely appreciated instrument. In Portland alone there's probably a couple hundred modern "indie-folk" bands that would love to have a competent banjo player to add to their lineup. I don't know how it was in the 90's or earlier, but I feel like the banjo has had a pretty strong surge of popularity in the indie music world in general. In fact, I'd say in those scenes it's just as common as something like trumpet or saxophone. and it's not all country-influenced either

and then there's Bela Fleck.

Back