Electric Resonator Build

I guess I've never understood how these things work, or why they're special. Is it like a banjoguitar or something?

Hi Knuclehead G, it is a Resonator.  The components are the same as in an acoustic Resonator such as a National Steel, i.e. it has a Cone, and a Biscuit.  I'm actually using a Cone, Biscuit, and Coverplate from National.

The difference between an acoustic Resonator and an Electric Resonator is that due to the lack of body depth, the electric Resonator has a pickup in the Biscuit so that you can amplify it to get that full Resonator sound.  It also has a Mini-Huimbucker in it to get that traditional Electric Guitar sound.  Its not meant to be played unplugged but when you do, I guess you can say it sounds like a cross between a Resonator and a Banjo. :icon_smile:

Here's another pic highlighting the finish:

Its a Warmoth LPS body, Mahogany with a Quilted Maple cap.  The finish is a Honey Burst. I routed it to fit a National Resonator Cone.  The Biscuit is a National Biscuit that has a Highlander Piezo pickup embedded in its underside. The Mini-Hum is a Seymour Duncan SM-3N.  I'm using a Linear Taper blend control to blend the Mini-Hum with the Highlander.  I've got an N-Tune on-board Tuner  as the Master Volume, and a Master Tone control.  The neck is a Warmoth Les Paul.  Mahogany with an Indian Rosewood fretboard.  The Headstock has a matching Quilted Maple veneer with a Honeyburst finish.  The Tuners are Tonepros Kluson locking tuners.

Man, that is fantastic work.  I am very impressed  :headbang1:
Yes, some sound clips would be very cool.  I can't wait to hear her...
:kewlpics: :rock-on:

really cool! i've never played a resonator (and honestly couldn't tell you the difference between them and a regular acoustic besides the hub cap on the front) but i'm a big fan of anything with this much work put into it. really really cool guitar

WOW I am in awe. That axe looks awesome and totally original too. I would love to be able to build something like that, and I would use it for sure. More pics please, and soundclips! Especially for the younguns who don't know what a resonator sounds like.
Congrats on the build.

I would say that guitar is a strong candidate for Guitar of the Month.

If you received it from Warmoth already finished you should enter it in the next contest.  If you did the finish work in addition to putting all the components on it then you will have to wait until next month for the owner finished competition.

Very nice, get out the slide, a vintage Fender amp with some heavy tremolo and do some swamp music.  :icon_thumright:

Clips are coming.  Busy with a few other things but its on the "to do" list asap. Its a busy weekend around my parts.  :icon_smile:

The guitar is a cross between a Warmoth finished product and an Owner finished.  Though I had Warmoth do the HoneyBurst and Clear, I had to route the cavity for the Resonator cone, route the control cavity, drill the holes for the controls and the jack, and cut the control cavity cover plate.

Back