Electric Resonator Build

it's a nice looking final build.  i would've been too scared to cut into that finish.

Andre

Firstly, congrats on a great project. VERY Original in it's application....

Secondly, you are to be applauded for your bravery in taking a quilt topped LPS and carving it up like you did. Doubt many of us here would want to do that, obviously you planned and engineered it right down to the smallest detail.

Thirdly, thank you for placing the contruction photos up showing how you did it! Some folks, if successful, might have kept it a secret....

:blob7: :blob7: :blob7:  :toothy10:  :toothy10:  :toothy10:  :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

what a waste of that great solid piece of maple... sorry to say, but I find it really a waste.

nevertheless, its an original guitar, with its own 'face', and it works really well, in the end.

This is awesome! I've been wanting to build an electric resonator for a while, but I lack the courage to do the necessary cutting. This turned out really great - I'm impressed that you did all this routing work to a body that was already finished. I'd love to hear some soundclips!

Holy freaking crap!

That's amazing!  and I thought I had the record on the biggest hole cut in a new W body...

Orpheo said:
what a waste of that great solid piece of maple... sorry to say, but I find it really a waste.

nevertheless, its an original guitar, with its own 'face', and it works really well, in the end.

More Mahogany was dispalced than Maple.  LOL

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Orpheo said:

More Mahogany was dispalced than Maple.  LOL

Win

Sorry for the delay with the clips.  Got busy with a few things.  Here's what the Resonator pickup sounds like

(apologies for the sloppy playing)

A few things:

1) Let me Thank all of you for your positive feedback.  I do appreciate it and it makes me feel that all that effort wasn't misguided

2) A good portion of a 1/8" thick piece of quilted maple was sacrificed.  However, not all of it went to waste.  There's still a good amount of it visible on the remainder of the body, and on the headstock.  It was a bit painful to cut that circle, but I don't think its all that much of a waste.

3) I appreciate the kudos for the novelty of the concept, but its not a new idea.  I think that one of the earliest solid-body electric Resonators was the Mosrite Califronian (I could be wrong) back in the mid-60's.  Electric Dobros existed as far back as the 30's.  Eastwood Guitars makes an Electric Resonator that resembles the old Mosrite Califronian.  Jay Turser has his own spin on it called the JT-Res.  Other smaller operations sell custom-made Electric Resonators (mostly in the shape of Telecasters).  National Resophonic has been selling their Resolectric for a few years now. 

The idea to build a solid-body electric Resonator did come to me before I knew about all of these other ones out there, but I discovered all these "forebearers" when I started researching this project.  So I can't take credit for the idea of an Electric Resonator. All of those predecessors gave me the confidence that I wasn't crazy in thinking that I could build one myself.  I want to thank Jack Wells for posting the pictures of his build as seeing his pics quashed any remaining fears I had in taking on this project
(http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/showgallery.php/cat/588).

The great thing about building my own is that I got to choose the parts.  So I think that I built something better than what I could have bought.

Now to get back to breaking this baby in....  :icon_smile:

:eek: WOW dude, that is one seriously awesome guitar......  :kewlpics:

Definately gotta give you kudos to having the balls to plunge right into that quilted maple!!!!  Looks like you did that with a forsner bit and a drill?  Gotta tell you that's the hard way, a router might have been a touch faster and easier, but there are many ways to achieve the same outcome.

Gotta say that body does look awesome with the 'hubcap'

Listen to Tonar, toss that into the hat for GOTM!! 

Honestly this thread got me gassing and googling around - it doesn't really seem that terribly tough as long as your router skills and tools are decent. I even wonder if you would consider doing the routing for the right $$ if I got the rest together. Not any rush, but I am really intrigued. The reso sound is addictive, and to have it in an electric solves all sorts of stage problems. Plus it would just look wicked.

Damn, that is seriously the craziest and coolest guitar I've seen on this board, possibly ever.  Not only did you have the balls to carve 2/3 of the finished guitar out, but it just looks and sounds amazing as well.  Amazing job!

Nice work ,  I've been wanting to built a resolectric for years , nice to see somebody take the plunge .. ENJOY!!

Back