el34 or 6L6GC and what 12AX7 for my peavey?

upnorthbacon

I'm waiting for my peavey windsor studio to arrive and it comes stock with an EL34 in it.  I'd like to get a classic rock to 80's hair metal type of sound.  It self biases several different tubes including, 6L6GC, 6550, 6CA7, KT88 and KT66.  Would any of these be better suited to a heavier glam style rock sound than the EL34?  I've noticed most higher gain amps seem to have 6L6 tubes and wondering if the 6L6GC might be better?  Also what 12AX7 would you suggest also?

dont expect output tube distortion to contribute to the sound until you get it cranked about 60 percent up....

folks have raved about JJ's on the 12AX7

I search for old EI's that are quiet (hard to get 'em that way)

The 6L6's and 6550 should be crisper, the EL34 and KT88's should be warmer.  Really it is impossible to say much because the amp has a lot to do with how the tubes work.  But, that is the general trend of things.  I personally like the KT77's (EL34 analog) because they are in the middle.  I really have no experience with the larger output tubes like 6550's or KT88's, but they are supposed to be louder.  They are more expensive...  The preamp tubes are again a personal taste thing and amp design thing.  The JJ Tesla tubes are very nice tubes, but you can get specifics to cater to more of the sound you like.  The problem with the EI 12AX7's tubes is they tend to be a lottery with regards to being microphonic (noisy) or not.  If you get good ones they are very hard to beat.
Patrick

Back