Looking for new EL34's. Thoughts?

Justinginn

I'm looking to retube my amp (tubes are getting tired and it's a good opportunity for an upgrade). 50 watt EL34-based, says it has "compensating" bias or something like that. I've never messed much with it. Last time I grabbed some Svetlana soft-rated EL34's going for a squishy British rock sound. Now I play tighter music (post-hardcore, alt metal) so I'm looking for something with bigger dynamics and tighter bass. I swapped the Svetlana back out for the Electro Harmonix it shipped with expecting it to be tighter. Nope. Buzzy/grainy/not full range. Bad.

So far I've been thinking JJ KT77s will get me what I want because I dig a little more 6L6 flavor. I've also heard the Tung Sol EL34's are good and have a similar flavor.

What do yall think? Experience? I know the majority of us are into classic rock or 80's metal but surely you've got some input. NOS is probably out of the question because I don't have that kind of money and I'm not positive I believe the hype.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rGit_zJWvw&feature=related

This is more or less the stuff my band is playing. I run a modeler into the effects loop and use my amp for volume (and powertube magic).

I very much like JJ tubes - good consistent quality and good tone (IMHO).

You are right to stay away from NOS.  The good tubes have long been picked over.  Even 10 years ago I was having trouble getting good sounding, non-noisy, non-microphonic, NOS tubes.

Any thoughts about E34L vs KT77? They seem to be in the same vein tone-wise. I'm thinking the KT77 are more up my ally but it doesn't hurt to get opinions.

I like the E34L, run them in my Uberschall. If you like that EL crunch, stick with them. But you can always try both and keep what you like the best.

Back