Peavey JSX Retube

DocNrock

Master Member
Hi, new/old guy here, but have been playing for over 30 years (and I still suck, thank you very much!). I have a Peavey JSX 212 combo but do not use the combo speakers. I run the output to a JSX 412 cabinet, so the amp is used as a head.

Anyway, moving on to tube rolling, I have run quite a few tubes through this amp and am still unsure as to the best tone (for me). I just started a couple of weeks ago and am trying varying combinations. Some I have eliminated so far, some far from it, and others need to be tested in differing combinations.

I've collected a lot of tubes over the years, and have recently bought some, as well. I'm trying everything in this rig.

Mine came stock with JJ ECC83Ss in V1-V3 and an ElectroHarmonix in V4. The power section had JJ EL34s. From what I have read online, my amp must have been a late model. I purchased it in 2008 or 2009. It sounded pretty good before, but I wanted to see if I could make it sound even better. :)

Before rolling preamp tubes, I changed the power tubes for JJ KT77s. I must say this was a huge improvement to my ears. The bottom end was much more chunky. I play mostly metal (mostly like Maiden, Priest, etc.), but I want good cleans, as well. Loved the sound of the palm-muted lower string chunk with the KT77s. I thought the stock EL34s were a bit flabby in the bottom end.

I'm testing the tubes without pedals, at first. If they sound good, then I add the pedals to see how the amp takes them.

What do I have for testing? I have:

GT7025Y (3): (Ei 12AX7 nickel plates from Yugoslavia) bought in 2003.
GT12AX7C: Probably Shuguang 9th Gen bought in 2003.
GT12AX7R (2): Probably Sovtek something bought in 2003.
GT12AX7-R2: Probably also Sovtek (?LPS) bought in 2003.
Tung-Sol RI 12AX7, bought in 2014
Sovtek 12AX7, bought in 2014
Sovtek 12AX7, bought in 2014 (balanced, for PI - V4)
JJ ECC83S "high gain," (3), bought in 2014
JJ 5751, bought in 2014
JJ ECC83S, bought in 2014
Penta Labs 12AX7 (2) (9th Gen Shuguang), bought in 2014
Mullard RI 12AX7 (2), bought in 2014
Mullard RI 12AX7, "high gain" (2), bought in 2014

-AND-

Telefunken 12AX7 "used old stock" (but tested new), verified authenticity (3)

I am still rolling tubes, but can make a few comments.

So far, I LOVED the Mullards RI in V1 - V3 with the Sovtek LPS in V4. The Telefunkens were nice, but I actually thought the Mullards sounded better. Maybe it is the electronics of the amp, I don't know. I didn't like the Mullard balanced tube in v4 as much as the Sovtek LPS.

The JJ "high gains" sounded the same as the stock amp, which is not surprising given the tubes I started with.

Of note, before trying the Mullards RI, I really liked the GT7025Ys. Weird, because these are Ei tubes made on Telefunken equipment. But to me they sounded better than the genuine Telefunkens. They are also the nickel-plate ones, whereas the Telefunkens are the smooth, grey-plate tubes (pre-1968).

I still have some more swapping to do, but up until now, this is what I have come up with.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I hope you JSXers find this info useful!

Brent

Back