EJ Black Korina Partscaster

Guitarsan

Shielding has begun...

FM8430m.jpg

Next stop, pickup shielding.  Going to use a technique which does not effect the tone:

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/26279-mod-garage-how-to-shield-single-coil-pickups

Nov17_PG_CLM_Mod-Garage_Photo-4_WEB.jpg

Boy what a fine looking piece of wood in that body. It'll be a superb instrument.

That's an interesting article. Thanks for the link. I look forward to hearing what you think of the result.

Rgand said:
Boy what a fine looking piece of wood in that body. It'll be a superb instrument.

That's an interesting article. Thanks for the link. I look forward to hearing what you think of the result.

Thanks, and will do! I'm hopeful it'll make a noticeable difference.

Easier shielding... hey, I'm lazy. Just needs to be attached to the pickguard (or scratchplate, as it were). Away stray EMI and RFI!

There are also some claims this might help a bit with sustain. I can see the theoretical argument, since the Strat in some ways is a semi-hollow guitar. (Ever think about that? The pickups are suspended from the pickguard in a cavity. I'm sure that's part of the Strat tone.) Anyway, this would serve to stiffen up the pickguard a bit.

I don't care either way on the sustain, just amused at the thought of it, is all.

N97hQLk.jpg

First, wow, the shielding worked!!

It was so quiet when I plugged it in, I figured there was a wire loose and I'd have to pull the whole pickguard off to fix it. No noise out of those single coils. Nothing! Dead quiet! So quiet I'm still getting used to it.  :icon_biggrin:

While I had it open, I changed to a circuit board wiring harness with blender control and treble bleed features, plus an oil in paper cap. Very clean installation with no ground loop - cavity and tremolo grounds come back to this star configuration.

YFhlw63l.jpg

Congratulations on those EJ's.  I picked up a loaded Eric Johnson Strat pickguard from The Stratosphere to build my strat, and it immediately became my No. 1 axe.  Between the featherweight chambered ash/maple body and the dead-bang perfect Carvin neck, I can hardly put it down, four years after I built it.  Long may yours rock!

15797715671_1e6a6a7386_b.jpg

Bagman67 said:
Congratulations on those EJ's.  I picked up a loaded Eric Johnson Strat pickguard from The Stratosphere to build my strat, and it immediately became my No. 1 axe.  Between the featherweight chambered ash/maple body and the dead-bang perfect Carvin neck, I can hardly put it down, four years after I built it.  Long may yours rock!

They rock alright! I scored it from myself, this build basically replaced the body and the controls and added shielding. Everything else is from my Eric Johnson Strat.

By the way everyone, when I get around to it, I'll be selling the Fender, select Alder, nitro finished 2 tone sunburst body I replaced, similar to this photo... along with the EJ neck plate w/ serial number.

t3bka2hbeprdngkgeklh.jpg

Back