Duplicating neck profile

mjlee

I have a Strat neck I love and would like to duplicate it's profile on another neck with a very similar profile, a Warmoth Standard Thin roasted maple neck whose shoulders are a little big for me. I see many people make molds of their favorite neck using Thermomorph, solder, etc. I like that idea, but not sure what people actually DO with those molds, outside of creating a sander with it.  Do they just use it as a reference, or is it actually involved in the process? Thanks - I'm definitely a novice at this.

They are normally used as a reference point to check a profile while sanding in order to get close to the original shape.

A lot of folks use a contour gauge to record the shape of the source neck and use it to determine how much more to shave away from the target neck to get the shape right.  I reckon you could start with a Warmoth boatneck and shave or sand it down but obviously you'd void the warranty getting there.

Check out this video at about 5:50 for demonstration of the contour gauge as a profile copying tool.

[youtube]V7YFl5xBsdI[/youtube]

Back