Duo-Jet style bodies, and a later-style SG pickguard

Graffiti62

Hey everybody--

I'd honestly like to see some new body designs pop up. In specific, I would really like to see Warmoth create archtop solid-body designs based on the Gretsch Duo-Jet models, particularly the 1962 version with the symmetrical twin cutaways. I've always liked the way those bodies looked, and to get one built up with some premium wood would be phenomenal.

Also, I think Warmoth should offer the later "bat-wing" SG-style pickguard. This would allow you to set up pickups a lot like you can on a Stratocaster.

I like the single cut Jet better myself. But it would be great to have this style as an option. The Elliot Easton model is the best Grestch I've played in some time.

You could probably have them do it as a custom order . but as an offering ? I question that . they have added some offerings and deleted some offerings over the years . They are based around production . So the more popular the body style ,the better the chance that they will offer it , Hence the Tele , Strat ,LP , etc . . . some they have offered for decades . . .Star and the Arrow headstock neck . . . to my amazement . I won't ask why .

but a one -off is probably a real good chance that you could make it happen  . . . even in a cherry sunburst quilted lam top !? If you wish .

Yeah there are a couple options I don't understand (star) but I was also thinking that it would be nice to see others like the Airline models. I know a part of their charm is that they are for the most part built and feel cheap. But it'd be great to make one with Warmoths quality and know that the guitar isn't going to fall apart in your hands. I really think theres a good market developing for guitars like Airlines, and Mosrites ect.

emmaporkchop said:
I like the single cut Jet better myself. But it would be great to have this style as an option. The Elliot Easton model is the best Grestch I've played in some time.

I've always been a fan of the semi-hollow single cut jet as well.  Would make for a great warmoth build, especially since the Billy Zoom silver jet is priced at $10K.

I know that Warmoth once offered, then suddenly pulled, Rickenbacker style shapes.  Perhaps they are feeling burned by that experience. 

Me and Billy Zoom - Hollyweird in 1983?-ish - X, Doe-boy, Bone break . . . must      die . . . . . . .  n o    w      ?

Memories . . . Blurred by mucho meds . . . and vit    a veg        a m i n              "A"

Doh          Duh          Ba          mmm  ah . .................................................

Gretsch had a Billy Zoom model!? I love Billy Zoom, X is one of my favorite bands that I unfortunately have to expalin to people. What made it a 10K guitar?

emmaporkchop said:
Gretsch had a Billy Zoom model!? I love Billy Zoom, X is one of my favorite bands that I unfortunately have to expalin to people. What made it a 10K guitar?

I love that old X stuff as well.  We actually cover some X tunes in my band including Devil Doll and Motel Room In My Bed. :)  I love those Billy Zoom solos and parts; I spent a loooong time learning the solo to the Have Nots.

What makes the Billy Zoom model worth 10K?  F*ck if I know.  Goes against the whole old school punk attitude if you ask me.
BTW, it's a really new model.  Just announced actually.  I told my wife that if it was under 3K I'd buy one and she was in complete agreement (she's a big Exene fan).  10K is another matter however...

Oh and here's a pic of it:

e578_1.JPG

I met X (without Billy Zoom thought) after a Concrete Blonde concert in Ann Arbor years ago. Nobody else seemed to recognize them and they were all just hanging out. Exene is short! They were all very cool, I forgot to mention this in another post. I still like the looks of the Elliot Easton model a little more.

to emmaporkchop . . .

your avatar looks "SUSPICIOUSLY" like a mugshot , btw  :laughing3:

Back