Drilling Hardened Steel

Cagey

Mythical Status
If you've ever wondered whether the claim that the Gotoh/Wilkinson vibrato bridges Warmoth sells have the hardened steel base plate they're supposed to have, you may rest assured that they do. Actually, Warmoth doesn't make the claim, Gotoh does.

WT1B_kit.jpg

Why should you care? Three reasons I can think of.

First, being hardened steel, the pivot points for the bridge won't wear unduly fast. This is a Good Thing.

Second, a hardened steel base plate means the string saddles are resting against something that not only isn't going to absorb vibrations, it'll transfer them directly to the "sustain" block and pivot points that are mounted in the body. All that should translate into greater sustain and wider frequency response, so you have a more articulate instrument. Perhaps only a little bit - I don't know how to measure it easily - but it makes sense. In any event, real or imagined, probably a Good Thing

Third, if you get the urge to install Graphtech "Ghost" saddles (Gotoh normally uses stainless saddles) and you want to drill holes in the plate to accommodate the wires so they're not flopping around and looking half-assed. The wire exits the bottom of the saddle...

IMG_1777_Sm.JPG

...so you have to sorta find where on the base it would be not only convenient for the hole, but wouldn't end up creating a wear point on the wire's insulation. Not tough. Install the bridge, string the fiddle up, set the intonation, then mark where the old saddles are. The Graphtech parts are so close dimensionally that you can use the marks.

However, drilling hardened steel is no fun at all, which is what prompts this post. I've gone through a goodly number of bits today, some of which are surprisingly expensive, trying to drill clearance holes for the saddle wires on a Ghost retrofit to a Wilkinson bridge. I mean, I could just spit. A HSS bit (waste of time, ruined the bit), then a titanium-coated bit (waste of time, ruined the bit), then a couple cobalt bits (broke 'em), and finally a pure carbide bit (broke it, too). I did manage to get a few pilot holes done in preparation for opening them up a bit more, but the cost has been kinda high (~$20 in bits, and I'm not even half-way there).

IMG_2771_Sm.JPG

As I've come to learn, the harder/sharper the bit, the more brittle it is, so you run into trouble with a regular drill press. I've got a decent Delta unit here, but while they make some good tools, the spindle is still not as strong/true as you have with a milling machine, so the bit wants to bend/flop around under the pressure of an eccentric orbit. PING! There goes the biting end of your bit. Sonofabitch!

So, I ordered some more carbide bits. I'm nothing if not tenacious. The beatings will continue until morale improves! <grin>

Follow-up next week.

I did it with a diamond file and a lot of elbow grease and hand pain. It's been a while since I worked with hardned steels, but IIRC, if it's rockwell 40ish, you can do it with the right tools (usually meaning inserts, the itty bitty stuff too small for inserts gets eaten up fast). If it's rockwell 60ish then EDM is the best way. Or patience.

I thought about using files (I have a generous mittenful of them here) and running the wires around the front of the base plate, but decided against it. I figured I could drill the holes and hide everything so you not only couldn't see the mod, it would be out of harm's way as well. Couldn't find anywhere on the 'net where it's been done (although I'm sure it has to have been), so it would appear I'm breaking new ground here (although I doubt it). As it's working out, I'm starting to wonder if others have tried and failed and decided to keep their experience to themselves. I mean, who wants to admit they just wrecked a perfectly good bridge? I will, because I'm shameless and I like to share experiences, but most would probably keep that sort of thing to themselves.

In any event, I'll get there. Probably cost too much time and money, but so what? A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Hardened steel is a real PITA to drill.
I worked in a machine shop for a while, the key I found was like you said.

A fresh cobalt bit, BUT I would adjust the speed of the press back to 50% of max.
Keep the base plate as close to the head as possible.
Go slow use lots of machine oil, and a LOT of patients.

Which I am sure you are already aware of.

You'll Whup it...

BTW if you don't already have one.... These are essential for hole clean up to keep those wires safe. Love mine.
spin_prod_222880701

nice to read your experience sharing

I think about replace with Graphtech "Ghost" saddles too , I don't like the Chrome look of the Fishman VS-50P .

where did you order the saddles ?

Cagey, solid carbide is your best option. They do make some TiN(Titanium Nitride) coated carbide. The thing to know with drilling hardened steel with carbide is take your time. SLOW RPM and easy pecks, and NO VIBRATION, carbide doesn't like vibration. The set up must be rock solid. :icon_thumright:

DangerousR6 said:
The set up must be rock solid. :icon_thumright:

Yeah, that's the part I'm worried about. As I mentioned, this is a Delta drill press, so it's not like a milling machine where the spindle is some massive thing that wouldn't move if you beat on it with a jackhammer. My only defense is going to be having enough bits to break so I can finish the job. Gonna be some expensive holes.

Cagey said:
.... Couldn't find anywhere on the 'net where it's been done (although I'm sure it has to have been), so it would appear I'm breaking new ground here (although I doubt it). ....

In any event, I'll get there. Probably cost too much time and money, but so what? A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

You didn't search this forum =p
You even replied to the post where I did this

http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=21273.0

Just giving you a hard time. I had to use a corded hand drill so I could control the speed with titanium coated bits. The bridge was steel as well, very hard. It was slow going but it got it done. I hope this helps.

After spending some time at the dentist lately, may-be you need a dentist drill bit.    :icon_biggrin:

it always real pain in the ass when I need to drilling stainless steel on site installation of some metal construction .

I find that break off drill bits often cost by  the heat generated by friction , annealed material weakening .

it need some lubricating oil , like in this video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2fNS4nkP-c

I enjoy these informative posts Cagey, very well written.

Time to get me a work bench and start smashing it up!

Thanks!

I should have followed up a bit, though. Here's what the bridge looks like nearly finished...

LooseWilkieWithGhostSaddlesTopSm.JPG

LooseWilkieWithGhostSaddlesSideSm.JPG

I did it the way Doug said - solid cobalt bit, slow turns, light nibbles. Did it in one bit, without breaking it, or having to fight it at all.

Here's sorta how it's gonna look installed...

JazzmasterDryFitSm.JPG

Since the original 'guard was set for a master vol/tone for two humbuckers (SD JB/Jazz combo), now the tone control will be the volume for the piezos and there'll be no tone control. I still have to wire the thing up and add a mini-switch to choose magnetic/piezo/both pickups.

I wondered what happened to this and whether the holes got drilled.

It looks very neat on the guitar, I may even say almost stealth like being black and the piezo leads not being visible.

I wanted it "stealthed" not because I didn't want anyone to know it was there as much as I wanted everything out of harm's way. That it looks better is a happy side effect.

I'm still trying to decide whether to risk routing for a battery box or just use an internal clip. The clip's easy now, but then I (or the thing's eventual owner) will have to remove the pickguard periodically to replace the battery, which is unappealing. The preamp uses practically no power, so it's not like the 'guard has to come off every month. Still. Seems half-assed. What if you knew it was going into storage or disuse for a while. You gotta disassemble the thing to pull the battery to remove the risk of leakage?

The other thing holding me up is trying to decide whether to refret it. It's got nickel-silver frets that are nicely sized and have little or no wear, but I'm used to monster stainless frets. So... I don't know. I'll just keep staring at it.

It's a single TRS jack. The saddles can also be used with a board they call a "hexpander" to get MIDI out, but I didn't think I wanted to go that crazy yet. That option requires a special 13-pin jack.

Back