Do Transparent finishes fade

Updown

Saw this Warmoth body on ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUPER-LIGHT-WARMOTH-SWAMP-ASH-STRATOCASTER-BODY-3LBS-2-5-OZS-/221239042330?pt=Guitar&hash=item3382dfe11a&_uhb=1

:icon_scratch:  Just wondered, is this normal for Transparent finishes ? 
        Anyone noticed this on any of there's ?

Suppose if ya left it sitting in the sun, it could do that.

I remember a solid finish (orange I think) that faded on someone real fast in natural lighting.
Warmoth pulled that finish.
Not sure if that was a neon finish or something  :dontknow:

Attachments

• $T2eC16d,!)UE9s3wDc4+BRtYC)E9pQ~~60_57.JPG
    508 KB · Views: 418
OK i'll take the short answer.  :icon_biggrin:

Your's (pictured) is a Dye finish thou.
I just haven't seen anyone mention this in the time i've been around here.
Haven't noticed it happening on any of mine as of yet either.

Suppose I never thought about the, ageing / lighting / wear & tear / curing / fading    :doh:

Darn ... just sounds like old age  :sad:

Red is the worst....

Old Gibson guitars would go from cherry sunburst to tobacoo burst damn near - as red fades to brown.  Old Cherry SG's are now brown...

The old dyes and colors were not very light fast at all.  Then again - old daphne blue Fender guitars are very green, as also are the Lake Placid blue... and the reds have faded to shell pink.

Today - better colors, better dyes.  This much I can tell you.  My blue Les Paul BFG is now very teal colored - with almost no light hitting it.  Reason is... the blue die splits chemically as it migrates into the wood.  I call it dichroic seperation - which might not be the best term, but one I use because of my experience with dichroic filters on precision light sources, and how they'd look differently depending on the angle of the light hitting them, and how we used them in specialized color printing - where a yellow filter controlled blue, a cyan filter controlled red and a magenta filter controlled green.  But I digress.

My blue Lester was done up with commerical dye made by Mohawk.  I've seen other dyes used by Warmoth also go teal, as can been seen in years past even on the showcase.  It was the nature of the process and materials.  There seem to be better wood dyes, and/or wood dye solutions for hard to dye colors like blue, and violet.  You can still experience some seperation.  Gibson's blue bursts are transparent finishes, not dyes.  Blue quilt is stunning.... and I wish I could reproduce it.  Maybe Tonar can... its beyond me, but I've not looked all that much on how to.

So the colors fade a bit.  So what?  The tone is the same, or better.  The instrument how has karma.... pick your shade, and go with it.  Keep the instrument long enough to have the colors fade and you've got a lifelong friend - so sez me.

Back