Distortion pedals

M

misplacedsanity

I was wondering what you guys would say was the best distortion pedal? I'm not interested in subtle, less is more doesn't work for me as far as distortion goes. I'm thinking of the kind of distortion that can make people's heads explode.
It seems that every forum has a favourite, the Ibanez forums likes the Line6 uber metal and the Jackson forum likes the AMT Extreme 3. The Damage control pedals look like they're getting a lot of good reviews too.
So what do you guys think?

For me, you've got to go retro.

I'm talking about ProCo RAT,  EHX Big Muff.  Or Just crank the hell out of your amp and go with that.

With all that said.  I'm currently running a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde into my Ceriatone 50W Plexi clone.

Its got two sides Jekyll (Tube Screamer style overdrive with a Fat switch for extra bottom end) and Hyde (much more modern sounding distortion, which will do anything from smooth Blues to mad metal) Or for total meltdown you can have both on together.
It sound great, and is relatively cheap (for what you get).

S'pose it all depends on what type of sound you want to go for??????

Good Luck.

Jim

I just use my amp but my friend is a pedal addict and swears by the RAT.

Well, I'm no connosiuer, but I love my Boss DS-2. It's probably 15 years old, maybe there's something wrong with mine cause when I turn out the gain, it cleans up really nicely (when I demoed a new DS-1 at the store a while back, I couldn't get subtle distortion). But that's not what you want anyway.

The DS-2 gives me LOADS of really thick, midrange-laden distortion. If for some sick reason I want more, I can crank the amp too. I would not personally recommend this pedal for scooped-mids metal. It does vintage rock to modern heavy stuff easily, as long as you love midrange. I recommend checking it out just to see if it's for you, because it's damn cheap. They go used on ebay for maybe $50.

I have an old DOD FX-69 "Grunge" pedal that I got when I was 17.  Haven't really used it in 10 years, turn it on occasionally for nostalgia purposes.  (I'm a "subtle" overdrive, Tubescreamer or DS-1 on the mild settings, to then drive my tube amp, guy now)  But if you want a pedal that is nothing but pure overdrive, that hits the nail on the head.

erik

whatever your choise is in the end, you might also consider getting some sort of noise gate. I use the Line6 Pod xt and almost always have the noise gate engaged. THe Pod also hase the same distortion sounds built into the box plus a whole lot more.

Brian

I have a Pro-Co Rat, an EH Big Muff,  a Boss DS-1,  a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive and an EH English Muffin that I put all in a line before my two channel Mesa Dual Rectifier.  I switch on multiple combinations of all these on a regular basis.  Head Melting distortion?  Yeah, no problem!  I have a few other distortion boxes, but these live on my pedal board, and I never go anywhere without them.

Now I use the distortion on my Hughes & Kettner Switchblade
But before I used a MXR distortion +

Personally I used to own one of the Grunge distortion pedals. It never reminded me of grunge sound more metallic sounding, definately a cool sounding pedal.

I think the ProCo Rat gives a kickass 80s metal sound.  :party07:

I love the ProCo Rat I bought in the 1980s!  It gives a great, nasty distortion.

I also have the Dimarzio Very Metal pedal.  All knobs go to 11 and there is a great variety of tone and distortion.

I've always wanted the Boss DS-1 and for $40 I should just get one!!!

The ProCo and Dimazio pedals are both VERY rugged.

Dunlop is supposed to be reissuing the Way Huge Swollen Pickle in a couple of months. I've got an original, and it's pretty sick.

Way Huge swollen pickle?  is this a joke?  I mean, I have one , but it doesn't change the sound of my guitar.......

Plug one into your Big Muff and see what kind of sounds you get!

Alfang said:
Way Huge swollen pickle?  is this a joke?  I mean, I have one , but it doesn't change the sound of my guitar.......
Eww.  :tard:

Alfang said:

http://www.fmogearshop.com/detail.php?invID=47

It sounds, uh, way huge.

I'm rather fond of a Marshall Bluesbreaker clone I built.. and slightly modded (one added resistor that increases the gain over that which is possible on the stock pedal - by reducing negative feedback on the opamp).  Could have a better tone section... but... it'll do.

Another Jeckyll and Hyde user here.  Got in front of my Hiwatt combo.  I use the Jeckyll side more of an EQ with a bit of boost and the hyde is much more extreme distortion.

I may replace them with a Fulltone OCD and possibly a Catalinbread Varioboost someday.  I'm very impressed with the OCD.  It works great with bass guitars too!

Crappy said:
Now I use the distortion on my Hughes & Kettner Switchblade
But before I used a MXR distortion +

I have the Switchblade 100 also and can't get myself to try a distortion pedal, the overdrive is soooooo sweet on the H&K.
If anything, I would try a BB Preamp by Xotic which just enhanced your tone keeping it warm and transparent.

This is a DIY forum for the most part, so I'll chime in as I always do on the subject of stompers-build your own!
For $30 + - you can build your own [insert name of you favorite Very Expensive and Very Famous Vintage Distortion/Fuzz/Overdrive Pedal here], and it will sound as good or better than the original since you can tweak it until your heart's content.
www.diystompboxes.com
BTW, don't waste your money or time on kits from BYOC et. al.

theres that place called "guitargadgets" too that sells premade boards and such for stomp boxes

Back