Dimarzio push pull tele wiring questions

I'm currently in the process of making my tele. It's going to have 3 dimarzio humbucking pickups in it: virtual hot t (tele), virtual vintage solo (single coil), and air norton (humbucker). I'm thinking of using a 3-way switch so that each position will have one pickup active. I want to use a push-pull pot so I can turn on the middle pickup when I'm using the bridge or the neck. And I want a push-pull pot that will (I can't remember the term for it, but deactivate humbucking so it's more of a truer raw sound). I want to know if this is possible and how difficult it would be to wire; and if anyone just has a lot of free time, tell me how to. Thanks.

The word you're looking for is coil tap.  Yep, it's possible.  Have you considered having the middle position be neck+bridge?  That would be easier to wire and it would give you more options.

if i remember correctly, this is how a series parallel switch should be wired.

red is also the output while green is also the ground.

I did think about doing the neck+bridge but I want to have the true sound of each pickup available and I wouldn't be able to have just the middle pickup if I did it like that.

Ah, true.  Well you can do that, but you'll need a 3-way "superswitch" rather than a traditional Tele 3-way.  (Do they make those??  :dontknow:)  You could also do it with a 5-way superswitch (b/b+m/m/m+n/n) and do away with the push-pull to turn on the middle pup.

As line6man points out, you might have been referring to series/parallel rather than coil tapping... but parallel wiring is still humbucking, it just sounds more single-coil-ish.  A tapped humbucker really is a single coil, because one of the coils is turned off completely.  Which do you want?

if you would rather have series humbucker/split coil switching, that goes like this...

again, red is also the output, while green is also the ground.

I'll probably opt for just a 5 way switch like dbw said, and just have one push-pull pot for coil tapping all of them. I'm just going for the widest range of sounds possible since I spent all my money on my warmoth neck and pickups heh. Can anyone think of a good use for a concentric pot? And thanks for the diagrams line6man, I'm just pretty much figuring out what I want as I go.

your not going to be able to do the coil tap for 3 pickups on just one push pull...
the push pull pot can do 2 pickups for a coil tap, or 1 pickup for a series parallel switch.

i personally would want to keep the number of pots to a minimum, otherwise you are going to darken the tone.
every pot you put in the circuit decreases your resistance to ground, and thus decreases the treble.

Aye, I know I want to tap at least the bridge pickup. Are you saying that the push pull with tap 2 pickups seperately (like they would both be theoretically coil tapped, but which ever is selected by the switch is the only one that is sounding) or the 2 pickups have to be active at the same time to coil tap? If the first is correct, would you say tap the neck or the middle pickup?

thetulipcutter said:
Aye, I know I want to tap at least the bridge pickup. Are you saying that the push pull with tap 2 pickups seperately (like they would both be theoretically coil tapped, but which ever is selected by the switch is the only one that is sounding) or the 2 pickups have to be active at the same time to coil tap? If the first is correct, would you say tap the neck or the middle pickup?

the coil tap has absolutly no affect on an usused pickup...
just like with regular wiring, you only hear what pickup is active.

if it were  me, i would just use a 3PDT switch to do all three pickups on the same switch.

if you are not using any other push pull pots, you could have a seperate one for each pickup.

as far as whether do tap the middle or neck pickup, since you dont know,
when you play a guitar like a strat, do you prefer the sound of the middle pickup or the neck pickup?
whichever pickup has the more usable tone for you is the one to tap...

I think I'd want the middle tapped; the air norton already has a glassy tone to it. So basically... 5-way switch n/nm/m/mb/b, volume/pushpull tap bridge and middle, and tone. Thanks for the help and telling me what isn't possible.

Back