Differences between Wilkinson/GOTOH Tremolos?

kharrisma

Can anyone explain to me the difference(s) between the Wilkinson/GOTOH VS-100N and the VSVG (and I ran into references to a VS400 too..,)?

All I can seem to scare up is measurements of the models, but nothing 'comparative' that explains what the differences are.  I know the VSVG costs a little more, so it *ought* to be better in some way, or maybe it's different enough that it just costs more to make?  No idea.

I also can't find out if there's a chronological order; which model was first, and then which were subsequent to that one.  I'd hate to buy model "x", only later to find out that model "y" was created to address issues with model "x."

I'm also wide open to opinions on trems in general; toying with a partscaster build, and I've owned enough Strats to know I don't like 'stock' trems from Fender.  They're also the only trems I've used, so I don't know much about the other options, other than that they were intended to be improvements on a theme over Fender's original.  I don't do lots of "strings slack" dives, but I do like to use it for heavy, slow trem at times, and my current one is so bad that I'm considering just decking the thing so I can stay in tune.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

The VSVG is a six screw mount trem. The others mentioned are two post.

https://g-gotoh.com/productList/wilkinson-by-gotoh/?lang=en

Other things to note not all Wilkinsons are made by Gotoh and not all Gotoh tremolos are Wilkinsons.

Thanks for the input, stratamania (love the avatar... watched it since it first aired).  Having a "duhhh" moment now, seeing the six holes in the VSVG.

Still... there's a number of models besides the VSVG, and finding opinions on them is turning out to be surprisingly difficult.  I've been to StewMac and a few other places, but they aren't going to say negative things about the products they sell; I much prefer users' direct experiences to vendor hype.  Not accusing anyone of anything, just sayin...

I figured there might be something up with Wilkinson -vs- Wilkinson/GOTOH... have seen both, and wondered if it was just people abbreviating or if it was two different manufacturers - - suspecting the latter.

Anyway, thanks again for the input; loved your purple-quilted strat build as well; gave me more confidence about tackling my own.

I also need to welcome you to the forum.

Wikinson has some Tremolos made by Gotoh and others elsewhere.

The VS100N is one of the earlier ones and the others are variants.

Wilkinson now also has a Wilkinson WVS1302P with locking saddles but is made elsewhere than Gotoh but is a quality trem. It is somewhat like a Gotoh 510 which is a good tremolo but with locking saddles. 

I've always been a bit confused by the name difference between VS-100 and VS-100N.
I've not been able to notice any difference in how they're made.

I've got 2 VS-100 ( purchased from warmoth.com ) installed on builds from years back and the VS-100 does have locking saddles.

AFAIK Wilkinson don't make their own products, manufacturing is outsourced. Gotoh is one of the companies they use. The VS100 is available as a Japanese Gotoh made unit and also a Korean (?) one which is a lot cheaper.

Back