Deep panel mono jack problem!

Kvebbs

Hi everyone!

Just returned from the first gig with my new Warmoth VIP, needless to say it kicked ass. The guitar atleast.

But the deep panel mono jack from switchcraft has been acting up on me. It barely holds on to the jack cable anymore, at one point i considered taping it just to be sure the cable wouldn't fall out! Also I have to apply some pressure to the jack cable sideways in order to have a stable signal.

On any other jack i'd just use the trusty leatherman and bend the metal that holds the cable on the inside, but since it's a deep panel jack its all closed... I'm guessing a getting a new one is the answer, but still... if there is a hidden trick, please let me know=)

Also, any other have a similar problem? Any ideas on a replacement that wouldn't fail after 3 months?

Quick thing to try.... make sure the plug on your cable is a true 1/4" (6.35mm).... Most imported plugs are 6.30mm .... Use a good cable end like a Switchcraft....

Do the American adjustment method on it.  Bend it.

If it were Swiss, the tip contact would be jewelled on a precise movement, with counterpoise, each with setscrew adjustment and counter screws to keep it all in place.
If German, it would have infinite adjustment by means of non intuitive set screws each with a locking hex nut.
If Japanese, you could adjust only with the mega expensive and impossible to get factory calibration tool.
If Russian, you'd heat it with a torch
If British, you'd have to turn the amps stand-by switch from "stand-by" to play three times, turn the volume knob 1/4 way down, and insert the jack while keeping the pickup selector switch fully forward in order for it to work reliably.
If Chinese, you'd have to toss it, and change the metallurgy on the replacement
If Canadian, it would be made correctly to start with, but you'd forget how it was suppose to work in the first place.
....and.... if made in the USA, you'd just bend the bitch.

LOL.  Except you can't reach it!  :)  I am curious about the fix for this also, as I decided to go with the same jack for my VIP build

DPJ1.jpg

DPJS1.jpg

If it used to work correctly, I doubt it would be a jack plug that's too small.
I'd say: Replace it. It's not an expensive part.

=CB= said:
Do the American adjustment method on it.  Bend it.

If it were Swiss, the tip contact would be jewelled on a precise movement, with counterpoise, each with setscrew adjustment and counter screws to keep it all in place.
If German, it would have infinite adjustment by means of non intuitive set screws each with a locking hex nut.
If Japanese, you could adjust only with the mega expensive and impossible to get factory calibration tool.
If Russian, you'd heat it with a torch
If British, you'd have to turn the amps stand-by switch from "stand-by" to play three times, turn the volume knob 1/4 way down, and insert the jack while keeping the pickup selector switch fully forward in order for it to work reliably.
If Chinese, you'd have to toss it, and change the metallurgy on the replacement
If Canadian, it would be made correctly to start with, but you'd forget how it was suppose to work in the first place.
....and.... if made in the USA, you'd just bend the bitch.

If Belgian, you wouldn't be able to adjust it since you would have thrown away the manul that came in the wrong language...

If dutch, you would already have ordered an extra jack the first time. That would have saved you the shipping costs for the extra one.

These sockets are just not as long lasting as the open fame type.
It's true that only true 1/4" jacks fit well, though cheap one may fit to start with, but not after the socket has loosenend up.

Having said all that, some can last for years with no problem...

In any case, the only way to fix it is to replace it...just don't be tempted by anything other than the genuine Switchcraft part.
The oriental copies (fitted to some Ibanez guitars etc) are really bad!

If it were Hungarian, you would have made a trip to buy someone else's crappy jack before one shipped.
If it were Romanian, you would have built your own.

Ah one of those.

Replace it with a football or LP jack plate, and open frame SWITCHCRAFT jack.

A lot of great different approaches here :laughing7:

If it were Norwegian, the entire problem would be easily solved with massive amounts of moonshine, and our superiour trading skills from the 8-900th century. :evil4:

The cable is a dimarzio-cable that cost me loads, so I hope thats not it! I'll just get a replacement of sorts!

-thanks

(what if it were north korean?)

Back