Dead fret

spauldingrules

Hello - I have a Warmoth pro strat neck with 6105 frets, maple/kingwood.  There is one dead spot - the high e string at the 10th fret.  That is the only dead spot - so I am assuming I need to file down the high e 11th fret a little.  Any tips on how to do this myself?  What grit sandpaper (150?  300?  80?).  I am trying to do all repairs myself on this thing, and I would hate to take it in for one lousy fret.  Thanks for any tips!

You need a good set of magnifiers, strong light, a set of fret rockers...

Personally, if I had a high fret, I'd mark all the frets, and give a quick pass over the whole neck with a full length leveler.  For compound radius you need to use some special technique btw.

the book FRETWORK at StewMac shows you this.

Are you sure your just not in that gray zone area where your bridge or saddle is just a bit too low? will raising the saddle cure the problem and still maintain a fairly low action?

Thats how I set my action, I start low and work up ( with bridge and saddles) till theres no buzzing,  If my action ends up too high, I make an adjustment on the truss rod and start over.

if you file down the buzzing fret to correct height, is the next fret gonna buzz?  I'm not dure singleing out a single fret to fix is the right way to fix it. Unless it is physicaly  higher than the surrounding frets.

So I agree with CB, you should work the whole fretboard.    You should find and read a bunch of times, how to setup your neck, I always have to re re-read that info myself  Good luck

adding... never adjust yer action by feel, until you've set up MANY by measurement

Spaulding,
Did you work this out? I have the same exact problem. High E string, 10th fret.
I have a Warmoth Pro Bird's eye neck/fret board, SS 6105 frets.
I don't think it is the set up, because frets 1-9 and 11-22 are OK. I thought about raising the string height, but I have a feeling it is not going to help.
I just went through a neck relief/string height/intonation. I could be off as it is only the 4th time I have done this.
Just curious what you did. I did a search before posting, so I thought I would just reply to this one.

Has anyone ever bought/seen a neck with one different size fret. I doubt this is the case because I guess all of the strings would be buzzing at that fret. I don't think that Warmoth does any kind of fret level, correct? I read that it is not generally needed with the SS.
Any other input would be appriciated. :icon_biggrin:

Warmoth doesn't do any kind of final leveling, but they usually do such a good installation that you can get away with playing it without one. However, it will be better after your first full level crown & polish - it just will.... especially if you're into ultra-low shreddy type action. I emphatically recommend that anyone buy and study Dan Erlewine's book, "Guitar Player Repair Guide", before you make any silly, expensive boo-boos. His section on fretwork is unparalleled.  For example (though I do doubt it would happen on Warmoth's superglued frets), Erlewine points out that if you have a loose fret, just filing it will drive you crazy. Each time the file passes over, the fret presses down, then pops back - you actually end up filing the surrounding frets more, making things worse. The book tells how to diagnose and fix every problem, gee I should get a shill fee. 
$22 now or  :icon_scratch: later.... :hello2:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Books,_plans/Building_and_repair:_Guitar,_acoustic/Guitar_Player_Repair_Guide.html
http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Player-Repair-Guide-3rd/dp/0879309210/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196161155&sr=8-2

A fret rocker is definitely a good investment, as is Dan Erlewine's book.  I've worn my book out.

I've purchased 5 Warmoth necks.  Every single one needed a fret leveling for super - low action.  It seemed the bigger the fret, the more work needed.
A really good fretwork tutorial can be found here:  http://www.frets.com/
Go to big index page > of interest to players > instrument setup and/or repair technique.  There's TON'S of good info there.

I'm guessing this link has been posted here before, but I didn't take the time to look. 

Back