Custom neckplate

jay4321 said:
Hey so yes that works as is but wouldn’t hate a second version with a little more mass to it, maybe just on the back end

Certainly does the trick though

In other news I’m kind if tired of the string-thru ferrules thing and I have half a dozen guitars with them. My 1st guitar was a POS but the one thing right about it was the little pot metal claw tailpiece. That would be too high (and too ghetto) for the project in mind but the simple hook & go with strings couldn’t be quicker.
Here's another version slightly fatter on the back end... :dontknow:
51317323175_6441b49849_b.jpg

jay4321 said:
Hey so yes that works as is but wouldn’t hate a second version with a little more mass to it, maybe just on the back end

Certainly does the trick though

In other news I’m kind if tired of the string-thru ferrules thing and I have half a dozen guitars with them. My 1st guitar was a POS but the one thing right about it was the little pot metal claw tailpiece. That would be too high (and too ghetto) for the project in mind but the simple hook & go with strings couldn’t be quicker.
So no comments of the revision?

Yeah that’s about perfect I think

Gonna ask you to forgive me if I pop in once a week or longer between visits. Won’t bore you with details but my job is basically throwing bags of money at me to work as many hours as I can stand.

So go with that and if it takes you a month or four that’s fine just let me know the $. And hold on to your plans for it please

jay4321 said:
Yeah that’s about perfect I think

Gonna ask you to forgive me if I pop in once a week or longer between visits. Won’t bore you with details but my job is basically throwing bags of money at me to work as many hours as I can stand.

So go with that and if it takes you a month or four that’s fine just let me know the $. And hold on to your plans for it please
No problem, I'm the same way when my job throws bags of money at me...I turn into the trash man...I'll give that one a whirl and see how it comes out. :icon_thumright:

Spitballing but I'm thinking about the placement of the forward and aft screws. Wonder if they could both be aft screws and spread apart some

1 to get the front screw out of the clean-looking string area, 2 so that the aft area could have a spot in the center area to put a logo or something

Also I would think the 2 screws would be more than enough to hold the thing in place well id it came to that

Attachments

• image of a diiiiiiiik.png
    image of a diiiiiiiik.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 93
jay4321 said:
Spitballing but I'm thinking about the placement of the forward and aft screws. Wonder if they could both be aft screws and spread apart some

1 to get the front screw out of the clean-looking string area, 2 so that the aft area could have a spot in the center area to put a logo or something

Also I would think the 2 screws would be more than enough to hold the thing in place well id it came to that
Yah, I could lengthen it a bit more and make the corner radii smaller and just move the screws to the centers of the radii.... :dontknow:

I wouldn't make any radical shape changes and again this is more an experiment than anything, so your general eyeballing works from here.  Either I'll build a body or have Warmoth do it sans the string through holes. I have a couple existing TOM-string thru bodies needing a refinish too could plug holes on those I guess. Will need to make template to recess it once you're done but that should be super easy

jay4321 said:
I wouldn't make any radical shape changes and again this is more an experiment than anything, so your general eyeballing works from here.  Either I'll build a body or have Warmoth do it sans the string through holes. I have a couple existing TOM-string thru bodies needing a refinish too could plug holes on those I guess. Will need to make template to recess it once you're done but that should be super easy
Well, I didn't change the shape, I just made the corner radii smaller and moved the mounting holes to the corners... :dontknow:
51335653011_846b3d66f1_b.jpg

Actually that's perfect. I'm not sure it would work with any guitar shape, but it looks cool enough to design a body shape around it. Also getting a serious transformers vibe

jay4321 said:
Actually that's perfect. I'm not sure it would work with any guitar shape, but it looks cool enough to design a body shape around it. Also getting a serious transformers vibe
I think it could probably work with a lot of body styles...Not all as you said, but most... :toothy12:

For anyone with the custom turtle inlay neck, got a neck plate to go with it. I have another design if you don't like this one.... :laughing7:
51383995810_924ea57b56_b.jpg

jay4321 said:
It's not perfect, I just grabbed a piece of scrap aluminum to try out the program, so here's a test piece.. And I didn't cut the slots all the way thru since it was just a test...:dontknow:
51387756790_68a5175e74_b.jpg

Just saw this thread.  Don't think I can wade through 200+ pages, but has a Warmoth Guitar Turtle been suggested/made?

DangerousR6 said:
jay4321 said:
It's not perfect, I just grabbed a piece of scrap aluminum to try out the program, so here's a test piece.. And I didn't cut the slots all the way thru since it was just a test...:dontknow:

At a quick glance would say bring the outer screw holes in a touch, I wonder how long the string lines really need to be, and are they all wide enough for say a 60 gauge string . And could they be smoothed in the process so as not to dig into the strings and bind or break? 

jay4321 said:
DangerousR6 said:
jay4321 said:

At a quick glance would say bring the outer screw holes in a touch, I wonder how long the string lines really need to be, and are they all wide enough for say a 60 gauge string . And could they be smoothed in the process so as not to dig into the strings and bind or break?
Well, my design is actually bigger than the piece of material I used. So the hole locations are fine, as for the width of the string cuts they are .062 wide. So I'd say yes they are wide enough, and yes hey would be chamfered for smoothness and can be adjusted to be shorter..  Like I said, it was just a test piece mostly for visual... :icon_thumright:

There is no accounting for taste... 

... and no way of knowing what people will like and not like :)

Mayfly said:
There is no accounting for taste... 

... and no way of knowing what people will like and not like :)
True, that's why I never make stuff ahead of time, you can never predict what people want...

Back