Current opinions on threaded inserts?

bruzanhd

For those of you who use threaded inserts for your neck attachment, which type do you prefer? I’m torn between the knife thread self tapping inserts and the the ez lok style that requires threads to be tapped. I’ve included a picture showing both side by side. My thinking is that the knife threads may work better in softer woods like mahogany or even rosewood, but in maple or anything harder I have a really hard time threading them in without getting a little bit of surface bulge on the neck heal, so I’m experimenting with the inserts that require a tap but I’m not sure about how well the tapped threads will work in wood. Opinions?
23823DE1-E6C8-4D68-B355-CF2874EA51E3.jpeg

For wood I'd go with the knife thread type. The other type is made for metal. It might work, but it's not the right one for the job.

For wood I'd go with the knife thread type. The other type is made for metal. It might work, but it's not the right one for the job.
I see both being used on YouTube. I actually see the metal inserts used more often, but it somehow seems odd to tap threads in wood.

Generally in harder woods it will turn out to be advantageous to tap the threads.

In the Welcome to the Forum thread in my signature, you can find the following information. (referenced below)

Cagey on which threaded inserts to use

Cagey on installing threaded inserts

Generally in harder woods it will turn out to be advantageous to tap the threads.

In the Welcome to the Forum thread in my signature, you can find the following information. (referenced below)
Would you personally feel inclined more to the inserts that are meant for tapping? Or do you personally prefer to tap threads for the knife thread inserts?

Would you personally feel inclined more to the inserts that are meant for tapping? Or do you personally prefer to tap threads for the knife thread inserts?

The inserts I have are similar to the ones Cagey, recommended in his posts that I linked and I would second what he said in both of the linked posts. If you don't tap and ensure they are inserted accurately, trying to self tap them will in all likelihood result in misalignment, which is no good at all.

Whichever type you use, tap first.

If you don't tap and ensure they are inserted accurately, trying to self tap them will in all likelihood result in misalignment, which is no good at all.
True. If you use a self-tapping type, they should be put in with a fixture of some sort, like the threaded rod in the first photo, with a nut locked to the insert. Then the rod can be checked for being square to the body's surface as it's installed.

I personally use the self-taping style, but I do it on my drill press with the neck clamped to ensure alignment. Have not had any issues over 10+ necks, some in very hard woods.

I do like the Cagey system though, with the jig to tap the holes etc. He's got a bunch of links on how he does it - or he may just chime in himself.

The inserts I have are similar to the ones Cagey, recommended in his posts that I linked and I would second what he said in both of the linked posts. If you don't tap and ensure they are inserted accurately, trying to self tap them will in all likelihood result in misalignment, which is no good at all.

Whichever type you use, tap first.
Yes I definitely agree that some sort of tap will be necessary.

Well I have done a couple test installs on some scrap warped necks I had from old import guitars that friends gave me when they had quit playing. I had a way better time with the inserts that required the tap. Here’s a picture of the final result. And if anyone ever finds this thread in the future looking for a reference, feel free to pm me questions. F16D4866-CD70-4157-BFD7-01A2682B6D35.jpeg

Back