Schaller STM Roller Bridge mounting issue question. OPINIONS WANTED

McHale

I picked up a Schaller STM Roller Bridge for a new Warmoth build (that has not been ordered yet).  The bridge posts require 7mm holes and use 4mm smooth posts to hold the bridge in place (see pic1 comparing included Schaller posts and sleeves to typical Chinese bridge) .  Warmoth (by default) drills 11mm holes.  What would you do?

1. Have Warmoth drill for what shipped with the bridge.
2. Order from Schaller the 8mm posts which would allow me to use 11mm inserts (see pic 2)
3. Order an M8 to 4mm smooth adapter and cut it to fit which allows me to use 11mm inserts. (see pic 3)

Things to consider:

Option 1 limits the guitar to vintage spec bridges.  The threaded length is shorter than I'd like.  Warmoth charges $40 to drill smaller holes.

Option 2 costs about $30 shipped but allows me to use vintage OR modern bridges in the future.  I think the threads are longer so should give a more stable bridge that allows me to raise it higher if needed.

Option 3 is $10, will probably work, and the area I have to cut/grind away would be covered by the bridge.

So what would you do and why?

Attachments

• 20210730_203904.jpg
    20210730_203904.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Official Conersion Posts 22280200.jpg
    Official Conersion Posts 22280200.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Unofficial Conversion Posts.jpg
    Unofficial Conversion Posts.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 99
Out of the available options in this case I would go for option 2. Why because it gives you additional options over 1, and is an official Schaller part and 3 might work but is more hassle to get it to fit.

In general it is better to figure these things out prior to ordering any parts ideally.

The weird thing about the Schaller bridge is depending on who you buy it from, you get different mounting options.  When you get it direct from Schaller you only get the vintage mounting hardware.  If you get it from some vendors you get both sets of mounting posts and inserts.  I thought for sure I'd be getting both sets and was planning on going M8 from the beginning.  Ordering the posts separately doesn't even get me the inserts.  Luckily I have a spare set of inserts from another bridge I previously installed on another guitar that SHOULD work but until the new posts arrive, I won't really know for sure. 

Thanks!

Back